Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 VW Golf that needs a replacement gearbox & engine. The head of the original engine cracked & the gearbox was removed to fit another car. But I kept the shell because it is in perfect condition as well as the interior. It has been sitting in a shed for the past 3 years & hasn't moved. I now want to put it back on the road & use it as my everyday car.

I'm looking for any help I can get on where to source parts, what to look out for, what other work should be carried out on it to make it roadworthy again, etc etc etc ....

I heard through the grapevine that a 1.6 petrol engine will fit (there was a 1.3 Petrol in it originally). Is it a good choice to go for the 1.6 over the 1.3???

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I have a 1.5l from a mk1 jetta with 58k on it if your into it!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Is there any reason why pasadena shells hold up better than any other mk2s? Theres one near me at home, a german girl owns, and its as if it just rolled outta the factory, Everything is perfect on it and she doesnt exactly put a load of effort into it!

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
QUOTE (pasadena @ Feb 7 2006, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 1991 VW Golf that needs a replacement gearbox & engine. The head of the original engine cracked & the gearbox was removed to fit another car. But I kept the shell because it is in perfect condition as well as the interior. It has been sitting in a shed for the past 3 years & hasn't moved. I now want to put it back on the road & use it as my everyday car.

I'm looking for any help I can get on where to source parts, what to look out for, what other work should be carried out on it to make it roadworthy again, etc etc etc ....

I heard through the grapevine that a 1.6 petrol engine will fit (there was a 1.3 Petrol in it originally). Is it a good choice to go for the 1.6 over the 1.3???

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated

The quickest and easiest thing to do would be stick a 1.3 engine and 'box back in it.

For the hassle involved in fitting a 1.6 petrol it's not worth it for the power gains in my opinion.

You could buy the 8v GTI that Nicky on here has for sale for 300 quid and transplant the engine and running gear into your car. Not that much more work involved than the 1.6 conversion and a better power increase at the end of it all, plus you'd have the GTI rear axle and suspension to swap over as well.

But really for a 91 golf pasadena it's probably more hassle than the car is worth.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Personally, I'd say go for the gti. You'd probably get better fuel economy, and overall satisfaction while driving it. as Geo says, very little in the difference (consider tax....?!) between 1.3 and 1.6 carbs..heavier engine too....I think....

Good luck either way.

QUOTE (Concept @ Feb 8 2006, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 1991 1.3 golf 5 door, running perfect still nct'd

free if you take it away

PM sent

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
QUOTE (Concept @ Feb 8 2006, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 1991 1.3 golf 5 door, running perfect still nct'd

free if you take it away

So is the car gone or what

·
Registered
358 Posts
QUOTE (pasadena @ Feb 8 2006, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you serious? Where is the car located?

Car is in Dublin, there is side damage on it but it has all the mechanical parts you would need. The log book has been registered as scraped.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Feb 8 2006, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You could buy the 8v GTI that Nicky on here has for sale for 300 quid and transplant the engine and running gear into your car.
Clicky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've sourced an engine in Cork for 130euro. Hopefully the same guy will provide a gearbox also. But I'm also in contact with KJK (member here) who has exactly what I'm looking for in Waterford. I think I'll stick with the 1.3l engine & standard gearbox. Crazy as it may sound but it was my first car & funds are limited so I'll do de bare essentials to get her running again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to a breakers today & he convinced me to fit a 1.6diesel engine. He'll supply all I need for the conversion, box, gear linkage, starter and all for 350 euro!! He's hoping all wll work out!

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
you will need the driveshafts downpipe and possibly the gearlinkage, also change the engine wiring loom with the diesel one and fit the diesel clocks, it will all plug in provided the donor is 89 or newer, it looks away neater than the old button on the dash for the heaterplugs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts