Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
hi

figured i would put this up as i have never done a project thread before.
bought this helios blue 5 door off a fellow member pulled well through the gears besides a bit of clutch slip,which i was told was the cable,

so......

i started by stripping the front end

founf that the driveshaft seals were shot

front end stripped out and engine hanging

engine out doesnt look too bad

a bit of rot caused by heat i think

surface rust
broke the the dip stick:

decided to paint the engine so here is before..

after paint

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

powersteering rack fitted

1.9 diesel gearbox fitted..figured i would try it as i found the 8v box a bit short,
had to change the drive shafts as the flanges are different on the diesel box,i used mk2 gtd shafts.
i also put in a sachs clutch and main oil seal

engine back in place,fixed all the heatshield rattles..there was a few.. a also fixed the leaking exhaust and i replaced all the clamps and gaskets

new bearings..
Painted the carriers black and the calipers red,the car already had g60 brakes:D
i also replaced the rear calipers with mk4 ones if anyone is having question of doing this i can't recommend this more it changes the handbrake and bleeding is much easier,also the obvious not ceasing is nice:D

all put back in to place,
i also installed sound deadening from a gtd on the firewall and bonnet..really makes a difference,i wanted it to look oem so all the brackets and everything is genuine including engine brackets and pump as the car didnt have powersteering

thanks to everyone who supplied me with parts, sorry for being such a pain in ass but i like things a certain way..

tell me what you think

PJ

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice one but as regards your first photo..

its not a good idea to breakdance near a car on axle stands.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Kevin @ Feb 8 2011, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking good PJ, how is she with the new box and clutch?
its totally different,
the main oil seal was shot so it slipping as a result..
clutch is nice and smooth and its a totally different car with the box
it still goes well but you can now sit at 2400 rpm at 60,

i took it out to see what i could get out of it,it will go about 115 in a straight line and she will run the clock on a down hill,in theory:D

you should take it for a drive

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fair play to ya, its looking quite well. I hope you enjoyed all the Marlboro lights, they were Kevins!

·
Turbo&#39;d
2,171 Posts
QUOTE (taita @ Feb 8 2011, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>its totally different,
the main oil seal was shot so it slipping as a result..
clutch is nice and smooth and its a totally different car with the box
it still goes well but you can now sit at 2400 rpm at 60,

i took it out to see what i could get out of it,it will go about 115 in a straight line and she will run the clock on a down hill,in theory:D

you should take it for a drive

Thats good to hear. Are you still planning on turning it into a van?? Oh yeah, did you enjoy my cigerettes?? When there cheap they taste great but when there free I'm sure its even better

Yeah man, I'd love to take it for a spin on the diesel box, what speed does she do in 2nd?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Kevin @ Feb 8 2011, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats good to hear. Are you still planning on turning it into a van?? Oh yeah, did you enjoy my cigerettes?? When there cheap they taste great but when there free I'm sure its even better

Yeah man, I'd love to take it for a spin on the diesel box, what speed does she do in 2nd?
well 91 patrol told me that if i couldnt get them up to you i could have them,and in fairness given all the work the car required its abit cheeky of him to mention it,
he told him i would try and get them up to him but as i had a family death dere was nobody going up to dublin and 91 patrol told me not to worry about it i couldnt get them up..

and its prob a good thing that i did this refurb as the lower ball joints were held on by only 2 bolts..among a few other things that made the car a bit dangerous

·
Turbo&#39;d
2,171 Posts
QUOTE (taita @ Feb 8 2011, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>well 91 patrol told me that if i couldnt get them up to you i could have them,and in fairness given all the work the car required its abit cheeky of him to mention it,
he told him i would try and get them up to him but as i had a family death dere was nobody going up to dublin and 91 patrol told me not to worry about it i couldnt get them up..

and its prob a good thing that i did this refurb as the lower ball joints were held on by only 2 bolts..among a few other things that made the car a bit dangerous

Ah come on now PJ, you got the car for a serious price... On Irish plates, vrt is over €1030 or something, and G60 brakes which are worth €250. Of course the car needed work and you told me it was always your intention to rip out the engine to have a look around and make sure everything was kosher.

...and by the way, I was only messing about the smokes

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Kevin @ Feb 8 2011, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah come on now PJ, you got the car for a serious price... On Irish plates, vrt is over 1030 or something, and G60 brakes which are worth 250. Of course the car needed work and you told me it was always your intention to rip out the engine to have a look around and make sure everything was kosher.

...and by the way, I was only messing about the smokes

Ok thats fair enough,i just took it the wrong way,you are more den welcome to take it for a run and to answer your question it does about 90km/hr in second

·
Registered
193 Posts
QUOTE (taita @ Feb 8 2011, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok thats fair enough,i just took it the wrong way,you are more den welcome to take it for a run and to answer your question it does about 90km/hr in second

sorry PJ, was only joking about the cigarettes! was happy to throw them in with the deal when you said you wernt happy with a few biits on the car. and even happier that they were Kevins!!

Are you keeping the car standard body wise??

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE (91patrol @ Feb 8 2011, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sorry PJ, was only joking about the cigarettes! was happy to throw them in with the deal when you said you wernt happy with a few biits on the car. and even happier that they were Kevins!!

Are you keeping the car standard body wise??
its cool i just took it thw wrong way,well i am going to keep it standard looking,i am going to replace the front left,bonnet,respray these,the roof and get all the dents sorted,and the few rust spots,i have a set of ats cups to put on ans rear wheel arch plastic on the right side is broken so that will be sorted too.

then at some point i might look at a 16v lump of 8v turbo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.