Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engine light came on this morning and a friend ran vag com for me...came up with errors
17704 and
read a few forums and suggested I need a temp sensor and a thermostat and go from there
so
any suggestions where to shop for these apart from eBay???

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)
Possible Symptoms
Erratic Idle
Possible Causes
Intake Camshaft Adjuster tight/stuck
Intake Camshaft Adjuster faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Intake Camshaft Adjuster
Use Output Test, Meas. Value Blocks (MVB) & Basic Setting

Does it idle rough?

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
[quote name='StevenL' date='Apr 22 2011, 02:42 PM' post='618654']
16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)

any camshaft timing errors should be treated with severe caution as the oil strainer is known to get blocked, causing oil starvation to the cam adjusters. an oil pressure check
would normally show if the strainer is restricted, ( needs to be done with engine revs @ 3,000 rpm ) if this is the case, then its only a matter of removing the sump to clean
the strainer.

·
Registered
737 Posts
[/quote]
any camshaft timing errors should be treated with severe caution as the oil strainer is known to get blocked, causing oil starvation to the cam adjusters. an oil pressure check
would normally show if the strainer is restricted, ( needs to be done with engine revs @ 3,000 rpm ) if this is the case, then its only a matter of removing the sump to clean
the strainer.
[/quote]

There is a bit of a how to for for replacing the oil pickup here can see the gunk on the strainer before compared to the new one

HTH

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Geo @ Apr 22 2011, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would buy a genuine one. Also replace the housing and o ring otherwise there is a good chance you will have leaks afterwards.

presume i can track down the part numbers on here and they're not too pricey so sounds about right thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (StevenL @ Apr 22 2011, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)
Possible Symptoms
Erratic Idle
Possible Causes
Intake Camshaft Adjuster tight/stuck
Intake Camshaft Adjuster faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Intake Camshaft Adjuster
Use Output Test, Meas. Value Blocks (MVB) & Basic Setting

Does it idle rough?

shit that doesnt sound good...yeah when its cold it sounds really loud and like a hoover on startup. i had read a bit about the swecondary air pump being a problem and causing this excess noise but nothing came up on vag com about that. just thought the thermostat and temp sensor was a good place to start

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I could dig out the part numbers for you but it would take me just as long as it would take you to ring Skoda and give them your chassis number so I'm not going to

Approximate prices from memory are thermostat €27, housing €5 and o-ring €2 (ex VAT)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (T900 @ Apr 24 2011, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE (StevenL @ Apr 22 2011, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the strainer.

ok how do i do an oil pressure check. shes due an oil/filter change so might be a good time to do this

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
QUOTE (vRSocty @ Apr 26 2011, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>shit that doesnt sound good...yeah when its cold it sounds really loud and like a hoover on startup. i had read a bit about the swecondary air pump being a problem and causing this excess noise but nothing came up on vag com about that. just thought the thermostat and temp sensor was a good place to start

The hoover sound is the aux air pump I wouldn't worry about it.

An oil pressure test would be a good idea though as T900 suggests, you need an oil pressure tester to do it. Most garages should have one. If you are any way handy with the spanners yourself just drop the sump and replace the pickup pipe a new one is only around €12.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote name='Geo' date='Apr 26 2011, 09:26 PM' post='620470']
I could dig out the part numbers for you but it would take me just as long as it would take you to ring Skoda and give them your chassis number so I'm not going to

Approximate prices from memory are thermostat €27, housing €5 and o-ring €2 (ex VAT)

lol fair enough...ill give em a buzz in d morning just to be sure
thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.