Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Plane
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MKI GTI throtte body. Is the 1.6 GTI the same as the 1.8 GTI?

I think they are but I'm not 100% sure.

Also does anyone know off the top of their head. Is the timing belt covers on a MKII 8v Digi (PB) the same as the timing belt on cover on a MKI 1.8 GTI (DX)?

·
Savage Member
3,419 Posts
Throttle body should be the same,I'm not sure if the 1.8 is slightly larger but it will fit.
I remember back in the day people used fit a 2L Audi TB for more flow.

Timing cover will be different as the MK1 has an engine mount coming off the side.

·
Plane
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers lads. Forgot about the mount alright. Yeah the Audi tb was done alright and I remember say 5 years ago there was loads on eBay too but I think the 20vt and 16v's are killing the old 8v.

·
Plane
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (oWesleyo @ Apr 8 2011, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have covers here paul if you need anything,
what are you wanting to put a cover on?

Covers are for the MKI. Clutch cable goes over the TB side and there is no cover on it. Also need a throttle body because the one on it is seized a bit.
Got a notion in my head that instead of leaving the MKI in the shed for another long time until it gets reshelled, I thought if it starts I might drive it for the Summer and with the track project there that wasn't going to be any time soon. So few night ago I oiled the cam, new plugs, fresh petrol and battery. 2nd turn of the key it started. Alarm, central locking, lights the lot working fine.
Going to replace the gearbox and if it doesn't need too much more then it's getting insured. But of summer enjoyment hopefully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.