check around clutch cable on the bulk head
check sills and around the door hinges

thats all i can think off for now hope this helps

dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will be more a daily driver than project but i dont want to be spending all my time and money trying to fix it! €500 budget once car is bought... if it does have a few rust patches here and there i wont mind but is it a big job fixing rust? As in is there any quick fix for rust or does it usually need to cut away and replaced if it hasnt got through the metal? cheers

·
dan
2,242 Posts
QUOTE (oisin gt tdi @ Apr 18 2011, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it will be more a daily driver than project but i dont want to be spending all my time and money trying to fix it! €500 budget once car is bought... if it does have a few rust patches here and there i wont mind but is it a big job fixing rust? As in is there any quick fix for rust or does it usually need to cut away and replaced if it hasnt got through the metal? cheers
rust is rust and if it's not got in time your looking at the lot of cutting and welding,i'm not being smart but with a budget of 500 euro i'd say your only buying trouble.re think your budget or hold off it's way better to replace a engine than panel's

dan

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Is 500 your budget to do repairs and work on the car after you buy it or is 500 your budget for buying the car?

Even to do a modest amount of work on a Mk1, 500 IMO is an absolute drop in the ocean.

Dan has given you a good overview, I'd recommend you go look at a few mk1s for sale so you can get a feel for what's out there and at what price. In current climate you could get a bargain but buy with your head.

·
Registered
38 Posts
QUOTE (Mike @ Apr 19 2011, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is 500 your budget to do repairs and work on the car after you buy it or is 500 your budget for buying the car?

Even to do a modest amount of work on a Mk1, 500 IMO is an absolute drop in the ocean.

Dan has given you a good overview, I'd recommend you go look at a few mk1s for sale so you can get a feel for what's out there and at what price. In current climate you could get a bargain but buy with your head.

500 to 800 is my budget after i buy the car. from what ye are saying id probably be better off looking for one with a solid body nd work to do on the engine, rather than the other way around?

if i had to re-think my budget how much would i be talking about? im not looking for showroom finish just enough to pass nct.

maybe starting off with something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2015884

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
QUOTE (oisin gt tdi @ Apr 19 2011, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>500 to 800 is my budget after i buy the car. from what ye are saying id probably be better off looking for one with a solid body nd work to do on the engine, rather than the other way around?

if i had to re-think my budget how much would i be talking about? im not looking for showroom finish just enough to pass nct.

maybe starting off with something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2015884

It's impossible to say without car being examined hence the suggestion to go look at a number of cars to see price v condition. Yes, the body may need attention, and engine and these can be pricey to do but you then have to consider a raft of other items - tyres, brakes, exhaust, suspension, service, belts etc etc and I don't mean putting on all performance items either but it very quickly racks up and 500 or even 800 can disappear rapidly. I'm just referring to bringing it to a suitable safe and presentable standard.

As said you may be lucky and get a car that is tidy with some minor items needed (very doubtful at 1500 euros though) or a cancelled project car or you may having looked at a few be better off spending a bigger budget and get one that is already done.....how long is a piece of string.....I would suggest do your homework, price up some common parts and then work out a budget. Buying first then budgeting later is not a great approach to be honest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.