Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my hands on a Mk1 caddy, some of you may recognise it as "zeus's barn find", a gent to deal with. After a quick phone call from Ronan (cheers man) giving me the heads up she was for sale, and another quick call to Jonathan I set of sunday night for her. Have only just dropped her of to the sprayers and gone through the job with him lastnight, he's only able get at it at the weekends so I'm expecting to have it back from him around the end of october, hopefully.

Anyway here she is

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Truck

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

She moved on the trailor a small tad on the way up
(was keeping an eye don't worry)

Have a few plans for her but mostly cosmetic things so could do with advise with the mechanical bits and bobs. Engine isn't in the best of nick but I have a 1.6td from a mk2 so maybe that will work with some mods. She has a 4 speed box too which has to go as I'll be driving 100+ miles a day to work so advice on which box to use etc would be appreciated. However on the cosmetic's side of things, for those more in the know than me, where would be best to get the chrome window seals and mirrors? (and alot of other bits and bobs)

Comments and help very welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
QUOTE (mentosean @ Sep 1 2011, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks clean and no rust...
More pics!

You keeping the wheels?

Aye she looks clean enough but we'll see about the rust when she's stripped back, the sprayer wants to go back to bare metal to make sure there's no suprises.

Eh the wheels are getting swiftly taken off it once I get over to my lock up to get wheels to put on her for rolling around the sprayshop.

Anyone wants them let me know

EDIT: I wonder if they'd burn!?!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (mentosean @ Sep 1 2011, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yea they look odd alright! ha.

If you need any bits I may have them give me a shout.

Odd is one word to describe them alright, think jonathan just wanted rid of them

I've noticed caddy owners are very accomodating, have got offered parts from several people now. I'll keep you in mind to thou as I'm sure I'll need a good few bits, thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Best of luck with the project looking forward to seening what u make of her. looks like we could have done with spending a few more mins tying her down before you set off. www.justcaddys.com is a good place to start if your looking for bits and there are loads of mk1 sites selling bits I havnt used any so cant recommend any.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (zeus @ Sep 2 2011, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Best of luck with the project looking forward to seening what u make of her. looks like we could have done with spending a few more mins tying her down before you set off. www.justcaddys.com is a good place to start if your looking for bits and there are loads of mk1 sites selling bits I havnt used any so cant recommend any.

Thanks a mill jonathan, she'll be a while getting to what I want it to be but at least what I'm starting with isn't too bad. Ara I shoulda brought more ratchet straps with me, I wasn't thinking straight in all the excitement of trying to get down for her ha. I was looking at that site alright, they have just the parts I need really. Which lowering kit did you get by the way? I was looking through them but the prices seem to vary quiet alot.

QUOTE (Camillus O' D @ Sep 2 2011, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ya wont carry many sheets of ply in that andy

ha oh you'd be suprised where you'd fit a sheet of ply when your stuck
How's your caddy since the axle flip btw? I know I'm not going to get comfort with this machine but I wouldn't mind something a bit better then the JOM's in the mk2 ha...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Andy my one is on drop plates in the rear it leaves you with more suspension travel than flipping the axel and and more comfortable ride but 80mm is as low as you will get from them. If you want to go any lower flipping the axel is the only way.

·
&#39;Black Balled&#39; member
5,500 Posts
QUOTE She has a 4 speed box too which has to go as I'll be driving 100+ miles a day to work so advice on which box to use etc would be appreciated. However on the cosmetic's side of things, for those more in the know than me, where would be best to get the chrome window seals and mirrors? (and alot of other bits and bobs

I think you may need to track down either a GL mk1 jetta or GL 4door mk1 for chrome insert window seals- theres a place in germany; cant remember the name, but Mike and Neilo often link to it; prices seemed astronomical, proberley why I forgot their names, but any mk1 bling like that can be got from them... theres also 'crazyquiffs' for bits like that, but again he knows how to 'set his prices'...

To convert to 5 speed you'll need the two 'black ended' ball socket rods (instead of the white ended ones on a 4 speed); with just replacing these you might be able to select all 5 gears when you have the box fitted; tho some adjustement on the 'gate' might be necessary...

Using a mk2 Golf TD/GTD 020 (4T code) will allow you to retain the original 90mm inner CV shafts; These 4T boxes seem very sought after and coveted by the UK caddy owner builders; I have one in my own caddy, and its not all itsa cracked up to be; 5th isnt long enough and the revs are well up there around the 80mph mark, so I might change to a cable change box - much stronger than an 020, which are getting harder n harder these days to find in a good useable state; mine has a bad rattle after a long 70mile+ spin, but it still selects all gears easily...
If you are fitting an 020 box you'll need a mk1 Gti 5speed 'gearbox to chassis leg mount; can be hard got here, but crazyquiffs do them "reconditioned" 'for a price'...

QUOTE Ara I shoulda brought more ratchet straps with me, I wasn't thinking straight in all the excitement of trying to get down for her ha. .

Nothing like that feeling of excitement alright; best of luck with the build!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (BLZEEDUB @ Sep 3 2011, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think you may need to track down either a GL mk1 jetta or GL 4door mk1 for chrome insert window seals- theres a place in germany; cant remember the name, but Mike and Neilo often link to it; prices seemed astronomical, proberley why I forgot their names, but any mk1 bling like that can be got from them... theres also 'crazyquiffs' for bits like that, but again he knows how to 'set his prices'...

To convert to 5 speed you'll need the two 'black ended' ball socket rods (instead of the white ended ones on a 4 speed); with just replacing these you might be able to select all 5 gears when you have the box fitted; tho some adjustement on the 'gate' might be necessary...

Using a mk2 Golf TD/GTD 020 (4T code) will allow you to retain the original 90mm inner CV shafts; These 4T boxes seem very sought after and coveted by the UK caddy owner builders; I have one in my own caddy, and its not all itsa cracked up to be; 5th isnt long enough and the revs are well up there around the 80mph mark, so I might change to a cable change box - much stronger than an 020, which are getting harder n harder these days to find in a good useable state; mine has a bad rattle after a long 70mile+ spin, but it still selects all gears easily...
If you are fitting an 020 box you'll need a mk1 Gti 5speed 'gearbox to chassis leg mount; can be hard got here, but crazyquiffs do them "reconditioned" 'for a price'...

wow alot of info here, cheers. Cable change seems to be the way to go but for now that's beyond my capabilities. I think I'm going to tinker about with the engine thats in it and see how far its actually gone, I was thinking when I got my mk2 she sounded mental rough but when I adjusted the idle and the fuel it sorted it all out, maybe it might do for a while. The plan then would be to get the td engine ready to literally drop in in a few hours some saturday, and maybe even tackle the cable change then. It'll be a long term project anyway now the more I look into it so my plans of using it as a daily might have to be tamed back a bit, we'll see thou.

That crazyquiffs site is a good start alright but he certainly knows how to charge. Hopefully I'll be able get bits and pieces of ebay as they appear like I done with my other cars. Would be nice to buy the parts new but I can't justify buying every part, specially at them prices ha. Might take a rummage around a few scrapyards never know what I could find.

Was wondering how bad would it look to have my mate fab up a stainless steel bumper out of polished stainless the same profile as the chrome spec ones? The feicin price of them bits alone like...

QUOTE Nothing like that feeling of excitement alright; best of luck with the build!!

Ah stop ya its the only way to buy any yoke, thanks a mill hopefully I'll get her to where I want her anyway.

G

·
Love these things, not have enough of these around the place, best of luck with it!

What wheels are you going to put on it?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Murph81 @ Sep 3 2011, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Love these things, not have enough of these around the place, best of luck with it!

What wheels are you going to put on it?

That's for sure and anyone that has one won't sell it. Thanks a mill I'll need the luck anyway with getting the parts I want ha.

Wheels I'm not to sure about yet, I have a set of Schmidt TH Line 15's at the minute so I'll put them on for a while and see how they look. I've a few other idea's for wheels but nuthing concrete yet.

Here they are, I'm in the process of polishing them. (by process I mean I'm still looking for the motavation to go back at them
)

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel Rim

Any suggestions for wheels actually?

Attachments

G

·
Couldn't go far wrong with those Schmidts, what width are they?

What colour are you going for with the caddy?

·
Registered
323 Posts
QUOTE (Murph81 @ Sep 3 2011, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Couldn't go far wrong with those Schmidts, what width are they?

What colour are you going for with the caddy?

Their 7.5's for the front and 8's for the back. Should do the trick for a whileen anyway.

Colour is going to be black, no, cream, no em wine...ara I don't know I can't decide. The sprayer rang earlier asking me to choose because if its white he wants to use white shults. Hard to decide, that's one thing I'm useless at.

G

·
Cool, are you getting the arches rolled while its in for the bodywork?

Heres some chrome trim, you probably need different seals that will take it though, could be hard enough to get!

You going to use the bumpers that are on it or go for the steel type?

·
Registered
323 Posts
QUOTE (Murph81 @ Sep 3 2011, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cool, are you getting the arches rolled while its in for the bodywork?

Heres some chrome trim, you probably need different seals that will take it though, could be hard enough to get!

You going to use the bumpers that are on it or go for the steel type?

He's going to roll the lip that's on them but not rolling them straight out if thats what you mean? I was going to get them rolled straight out but wasn't sure how it would look. Just after seeing a mk1 there with arch work done to it to make it wider so might suggest that to him, he's very busy and originally the job I asked him to do was a Mk2 with half the amount of work so I can't be too demanding.

Was on to a mate today about fabricating up polished stainless steal bumpers as I couldn't justify buying them new. Should look alright I hope, the chrome mirrors and door window trim seems to be the hardest to find. Was there ment to be a link on your previous post murph?

·
Registered
323 Posts
QUOTE (Murph81 @ Sep 3 2011, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry forgot the link http://www.eurowagens.com/en/vw/golf-1-jet...genuine-vw.html

Yeah I know what you mean about not rolling the arches out, looks shit, looks better when you keep the original outer profile of the arch if you get me.

Busy my ass, you are paying him cash, plenty of other painters out there, alot of work in extending the arches and getting them right, could be expensive!

Good site here for mk1 bits http://www.typ-17.de/

Chrome mirrors WAHEYYYYY, good man yourself i'd have never found that site. Ah ya I seen it in pictures with the straight out but never in person, think I'll stick to semi original spec with just nice wheels and lower for now, Don't want to go ott with it until I'm 100% sure. Ah I know him for years, family friend, he wouldn't go messing me around. I want to get it back fairly lively so if I keep adding jobs to it I'll never have it, arch work can take an age and as you said the price goes up massive with that. I'll see what he says thou cause i like the idea of having it wide

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Nice project. Should look really good lowered on the Schmidts.

Have a look on the VW Heritage site too for parts. I'll be putting in an order with them over the next few weeks myself.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.