Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Discussion starter · #31 ·
Hi guys.
I have been getting a bit more done on this over the last couple of weeks. I hope to be finished shortly. I had a bit of trouble with the rear brakes. The bleed screw broke off on the drivers side so I had to get new brake cylinders. €15 each so not too bad. When I went to take off the brake line it turned with the nut so I had to get a pair of them made up. €16 so worth doing as the old ones probably wouldn't pass a test.
I have most of the wires connected in the engine bay. I have a bunch of wires that I have no home for and they are not in the other caddy that I have.
Can anyone tell me anything about these? Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Attachments

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I got working on the cabin.
Cleaned and sprayed (with rattle cans) the panel behind the seats. Cleaned the floor and fitted the carpets out of a convertable. Had to cut a bit off the rears and make a couple of new holes for the seat belts . I cleaned and sprayed black the bins or storage compartments below the dash. It left them like new. I also sprayed the cowl around the steering colm and the one at the handbrake. Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automobile pedal Vehicle door

Attachments

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Another little hill to climb was that the seats I was fitting were from an Audi but modified to fit a Mk2 Golf. The rails are the same as the Mk1 but the lever to let you slide the seat back and forward was on the opposite side to the Mk1 so these had to be changed. Not a big job really.
I bought a set of seat covers in Lidl. I took the plastic trims off the seats, fitted the covers and replaced the trims. I sprayed the trims black before i refitted them. The seats look like they are nearly new. I am very happy with them. Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Car seat

Attachments

PJ; re post #31, those wires you have 'no home for' - are they they the rad fan and fan switch? what year is the caddy? My old 83 caddy had multiplugs similiar to the ones you are holding; my 91 caddy had later 'mk2 golf' style multiplugs; the older caddy had a 2 speed rad fan wiring and 2 pin fan switch...

Interior goes well with the blue on white theme; proberley not to everyones taste but I doft the cap to you - its certainly thinking outside the box for a seat retrim; fair play...

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Thanks Kevin.
I'm not big into spending hundreds on a retrim. I think about €17 and own labour to retrim seats and doorcards is a bargain. I'll pretend that it cost €500 -€600

She is 1989 and assembled in Yougoslavia. Those wires are not for the rad (I have them sorted). These connections are smaller. About the same size as the ones for the brake resevoir and rad expansion bottle.( I have those ones in place). Maybe they are for extra equipment or something. I'll have to pop a few Mk1 bonnets at some of the shows and meets.
I hope to be on the road within the next few days

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Hi Trevor.
I haven't started the engine yet. Just got the fuel lines rigged up on saturday. I still have to finish the plumbing on the power steering. I cant see that there would be any problems with it. I'll keep you posted.
Would you put power steering in the Audi?

QUOTE (BUA @ Jun 26 2011, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Trevor.
I haven't started the engine yet. Just got the fuel lines rigged up on saturday. I still have to finish the plumbing on the power steering. I cant see that there would be any problems with it. I'll keep you posted.
Would you put power steering in the Audi?

nah, it's got the world's biggest steering wheel, it feels like power steering anyway!!

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Hi all.
Its been a long time in the pipeline but I finally got the Caddy on the road.
It failed the test on a load of small stuff about 3 months ago but it was hard to get time to tackle them but finally I did.
I brought it for the DOE monday morning and it flew through.
It was then down to the garda station then to get a couple of forms signed.
Declaration that it is a goods vehicle and the form so that I wouldn't have to pay any back tax.
Its been off the road since 2000 so it had a 12 year rest.
I have done over 100 miles and loving every minute of it.
It is well balanced ( not bouncy) and steady on the road.
I do have an anti roll bar fitted on the front so that might be a help.
It sounds a but loud (like a tractor). Probably because I have a K&N type air filter fitted.
Ideally I would like a respray but I couldn't justify the cost. Maybe if I could tackle some of the scrabes and bits of surface rust, I might have a go at spraying it myself

Heres a couple of pictures.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

Attachments

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.