Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to all,
i need to pick the collective brains of the mkiv experts out there,
looked at a really tidy 180bhp gti yesterday. one problem was it had slight bubbling on both sides of the roof, at the rails and roughly centred over
the rear quarter windows (3dr). has anyone got any ideas what that might be caused by?? its originally irish btw and doesnt have any signs of accident damage. thinking maybe rainwater pipes blocked??
another thing was it made a noise, when you turn the steering, like the springs were out of their cups, any ideas or common faults??
like i say the car seems well minded otherwise and is at good money so any help would be appreciated.
thanks lads
mossy

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Hi Mossy,

Its a strange place for it to bubble on a 7/8 year old car. The noise is probably the top mount bearings. They aren't expensive to replace.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That rust is caused by blocked roof drains. I have just gotten my roof and quarter panel repaired by VW under warranty. It has happened to alot of Audi A3s in England. You should be covered once the car hasn't had previos work done to it and is within the 10 year body guarantee, which I guess it is by the engine.

I don't know about the steering noise though.

Damien.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks lads,
yeah it seems you're both on the money. i've been researching and both appear to be common problems.
fingers crossed i'll be picking up a good gti at the weekend!!

btw, is there anyone on here that would check over a car mechanically around the meath area?
would be good to have someone familiar with mk4 gti's
anyway thanks for your help
mossy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.