Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem with the central locking on the GTi lads. Central locking is working ok but the boot isn't unlocking....so I guess the central locking isn't really working properly then

I can't open the lock on the boot with the key either as it won't turn in the lock. Should it be able to?

What ye reckon could the problem be? Is there any way of opening the boot from inside the car?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
on a mk3, the key should open all the locks unless it has been changed at some stage
the central locking in the boot is prob down to a disconnected vacume line from the pump, since it wont open i am not sure how you would go about checking it.
you will prob ahve to geta locksmith to cut a key to get you into the car's boot then fix the locking

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers RMN.

I'm thinking the lock might be seized from lack of use, well maybe not seized, what I mean is the key fits in the lock but it just won't turn it. Might be because it's just never been opened with the key before & is stiff.

Any point spraying some WD40 into the lock?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (rmn @ Feb 20 2006, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>but you cant open it can you kev?
not sure but i font think there is any release

That I don't know. Not sure if there is a release mechanism on the inside.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
There isn't a release mechanism designed for you to open the boot from the inside but you should be able to see how the lock works and unlock it from the inside.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
just unscrew the trim and then undo the locking mechanism then the lock should be aboe to be released

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, better get out me torch and the lump hammer then so and contort myself into the boot!!

Should be fun!

Cheers for the advice lads.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think if the vacume pipe had come off ud been in bigger trouble, as if theirs a leak in the pipe, the central locking motor inside the pumps just burns out, i think ur lock is just seized happen to my golf a few times! my current golf lock doesn turn ither to think of it nither did the last golf??

good luck if you can get the panel off with the boot closed :

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'd imagine you should be able to turn the key if the lock was working proberly but it sounds like your lock is stiff as you say, don't put too much pressure on the key though if you try it again.
You'll be able to open the boot from the inside once you remove the trim panel, there's a little bar going from the button to the lock itself, just pull it upwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts