Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me or even better if anyone has a picture of where the vacuum pipe for the MPG on an 8v digifant comes through the bulkhead and goes into the inlet manifold.

My MFA is reading 99.9mpg since yesterday morning and I hope the hose just came loose somewhere.

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
IT GOES INTO THE FAR RIGHT SIDE OF THE THROTTLE BODY ON THE PIPE COMING FROM UNDERNEATH. IF THATS ANY USE!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
this is happening on my mk2 too. dropped to 68mpg once, got worried about the sudden drop in economie

i thought it was a shagged mfa?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
68mpg could well be an mfa problem, 99.9 suggests the vacuum line is either disconnected or split, the mfa interprets that as the engine having no load on it and thus not consuming any fuel, hence the 99.9mpg (the highest reading it will go to)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Had a look at mine yesterday, theres a vacuum pipe comming from the right hand side of the throotle body, it plugs onto one of two inlets on it, its the one to the right hand side. facing down.

I made the terrible mistake years ago when i got the gti, of finding a wire with a plastic "thing" on the end, and no wire coming off it, so i dumped it, (thought it was some rubbish from the preivous owner)

Had a look at the outside temp on the MFA a few weeks later, -40oC!

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it the pipe coming from the bottom of an nrv on the brake vacuum line going from the manifold to the servo?

Thanks again.

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE Is it the pipe coming from the bottom of an nrv on the brake vacuum line going from the manifold to the servo?

Thanks again.

Anybody?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
if i had a picture id show you, i think your talking about something completely different, whats an nrv, and what does the mpg vaccum pipe have to do with the brake servo?

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Oisin @ Mar 16 2006, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if i had a picture id show you, i think your talking about something completely different, whats an nrv, and what does the mpg vaccum pipe have to do with the brake servo?

Non Return Valve.

There is a Vacuum pipe coming from the right hand side of the manifold going through 2 valves and into the brake servo. Off the bottom of one of these valves (one nearest the manifold) there is a small what I think is another vacuum pipe.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

Pic is just to clarify that thats where this hose should plug into, (Thanks Geo, woulda asked if u were online)

It should be going onto the right hand side inlet (passengers side of the car) side. theres only two so that should help u ya?

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Oisin. Cheers thats the one I thought it was alright.

Problem now is that its still connected and doesn't look cracked/broken.

Am I right in saying that it now means it either fell out behind the clocks or my vacuum unit is fecked?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
There's a constant pull on the one at the back of the clocks so it's highly possible thats the problem.

Be careful not to break the speedo cable when taking out the clocks, i broke mine twice!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
best advice for taking out the clocks -> take the wheel off first, then once u unscrew evertything, leave the clocks drop down an inch or so to get the speedo off, it just takes a half turn to the right to get it out.

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (Oisin @ Mar 17 2006, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>best advice for taking out the clocks -> take the wheel off first, then once u unscrew evertything, leave the clocks drop down an inch or so to get the speedo off, it just takes a half turn to the right to get it out.

Cool, might try get the speedo cable replaced while im at it so. It sounds a bit clicky.

Thanks Lads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts