Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the car last week the MFA display was a mess. Basically all the digits in the LCD display were lit up so it looked like four number eights. Then this weekend the MFA display was really dull looking and then after a while it just went blank.

I've checked the wiring in the engine bay and everything is there. Earth wire to the rocker cover is intact and noting looks out of place. At the time of buying the car it didnt bother me but now after a bit of driving it would be great to get the MFA working (or at least displaying the time so I dont have to keep looking at my watch).

So anyone got any suggestions on how I can remedy this. I know its a common problem with the Mk1. What number fuses are you meant to remove overnight? And if its a case the thing is totally fupped is there anywhere I can send the cluster to be fixed like what Awesome do with the Mk2 cluster. I don't want to have to change the cluster cause the milage is low and genuine going by the complete and detailed history that came with the car. Is it possible to get a second hand cluster and swap the LCD over?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I don't know anything about mk1 clusters, but the fuses in the mk2 are number's 16 and the second from the end on the right (21 or 22 I can't remember which)

I'd say if you got another cluster it would be easy enough to change over the speedo unit from yours.

There is a good chance that it will be ok if you just reset it by taking out the fuses though I would think. My mk2 one is very sensitive that way, if you change the battery or if the power gets interrupted the mfa doesn't work until you take out the fuses and put them back in.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Mine did that all the time. The only thing that ever seemed to work was tapping the positive poll of the battery with the lead.(one tap) Someone over on vage said that was dangerous though.
that said, mines working since!

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I'd say you could blow the circuit board in the more sensitive motometer ones doing that.

I'm paranoid about mine now after paying Awesome £100 to fix mine a couple of years ago, if I ever disconnect the battery I take out the 2 fuses first and put them back in afterwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts