Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads, looking at fitting a rear seat to my transporter and am looking for some information on doin it. The insurance is grand just who else needs to be informed? Do i need to fit windows etc? Has anyone here done it themselfs?

Thanks in advance for any info. Barry.

·
Registered
638 Posts
QUOTE (BarryMc @ Apr 14 2011, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi lads, looking at fitting a rear seat to my transporter and am looking for some information on doin it. The insurance is grand just who else needs to be informed? Do i need to fit windows etc? Has anyone here done it themselfs?

Thanks in advance for any info. Barry.

You will need to declare it to customs/revenue for change of use and pay up the VRT difference. Also you will need to tax it as private.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (syncropaddy @ Apr 14 2011, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You will need to declare it to customs/revenue for change of use and pay up the VRT difference. Also you will need to tax it as private.

Ah crap, screw that idea so

Thanks for the info I just had a feeling it would not be easy and if I did it, it would bite me in the ass!!!!!!!

Thanks Barry.

·
Registered
674 Posts
QUOTE (Smithy @ Apr 15 2011, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really...............

for some reason i had it in my head it was a golf!
in the case of the transporter in the pic its still a van (crew-cab i guess?) my bad, its late, leave me alone

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
QUOTE (Smithy @ Apr 15 2011, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can fit seats but you need to fit a window, once the back part of the van doesn't have windows its still classed as commercial and theres no vrt to pay.

WTF is that at the bottom of the pic? Looks like a cat standing upright trying to sneak across
its that or someone is going at the transporter with a torch.

·
Registered
638 Posts
QUOTE (Smithy @ Apr 15 2011, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can fit seats but you need to fit a window, once the back part of the van doesn't have windows its still classed as commercial and theres no vrt to pay.

If it was that easy we'd all be doing it .....

A commercial vehicle with more than one row of seats is classed as a Category B. This class would have Crew Cabs and vans with a second row of seats. The VRT for this category is 13.3% and if you have a VAT number you can tax as commercial, if not the vehicle must now be taxed as private.
There was a 2008 Discovery Commercial in Kelly's place in Kilmacanogue that was confiscated by the revenue because there was seats fitted to the back. It went to the crusher on Friday last cuz the owner couldnt afford the fine, VRT difference and the back tax. It was pulled by revenue during a blitz on first week in March

VRT Category B
A Category B vehicle is a certain type of a car-derived van or a jeep-derived van. In EU terms, a vehicle of classification N1 is generally a Category B vehicle. Since January 2011 motor caravans and commercial vehicles not exceeding 3.5 tonnes fit into this category.

The rate of VRT applicable to Category B vehicles, subject to a minimum VRT of €125, is 13.3% of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.