Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
also seen an article where Honda are developing solenoid valves systems, where there will be no cams so it will produce optimum power at ever rev range. be some job.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thats mad. I presume if these are introduced, they will be a non disposable part, unlike conventional spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
QUOTE (rubbinanddubbin @ Apr 25 2011, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>also seen an article where Honda are developing solenoid valves systems, where there will be no cams so it will produce optimum power at ever rev range. be some job.

Less moving parts = greater efficiency = i like.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (rubbinanddubbin @ Apr 25 2011, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>also seen an article where Honda are developing solenoid valves systems, where there will be no cams so it will produce optimum power at ever rev range. be some job.
Its very interesting stuff, theyve been trying that for a long time and I dont think it will happen in my lifetime. Solenoids by theyre very nature hate heat, vibrations and rapid excitement.
They've hit a wall trying to make them strong enough to open against the valve yet keep them compact and most of all reliable.
It is very much an ideal solution, being able to control lift, duration and overlap across any particular rev in any particular cylinder! Im sure theyd begin to develop the engines with a modern twist to Saab's idea with the old V4, two cylinders tuned for torque, two for power.

What im sure will kick off more is BMW's N74 Valvetronix found in the Rolls-Royce Ghost and Phantom. The rocker shaft is adjustable up and down controlled by servos so resulting in infinitelly adjustable valve timing. they even use this to totally controll the engine's power as opposed to a throttle body...smoooother reving and comfort

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.