Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anything else needed before fitting this or is it a simple replacement to the standard turbo on the 1.8t, would you recommend upgrading anything else first. If i have the car chipped already will i have to re-program to suit the new turbo?

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE (chrisy @ Mar 20 2006, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>anything else needed before fitting this or is it a simple replacement to the standard turbo on the 1.8t, would you recommend upgrading anything else first. If i have the car chipped already will i have to re-program to suit the new turbo?

there are basically two types of k04,

k04 001 is an after marker turbo, never fitted to a vw. this is a direct bolt on, just change gaskets and tip and youre away. it will only make 10 bhp more than a k03s, so stick with the k03s which is readily available and stronger

k0402. this is fitted to s3 ,leon cupra r , tt 225, etc. you will need a downpipe, manifold, oil/water lines, 3 inch maf and a tip to fit this but chipped, it will get 270 bhp. there are also hybrid ones making more power. ls cartec have one that they claim will make 300 bhp.

my advice is go eliminator if your going to this much trouble! http://www.starperformance.co.uk/

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clicky clicky

just i saw this and it gives the impression og being a simple enough mod with good power gains, but am scepticle..

·
Registered
304 Posts
1.8T K04 upgrades for a Passat or A4 use a K04-015 turbo. It bolts straight on.
Then software and FPR are changed to make it run correctly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE (pdxa4 @ Mar 21 2006, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1.8T K04 upgrades for a Passat or A4 use a K04-015 turbo. It bolts straight on.
Then software and FPR are changed to make it run correctly.

i stand corrected!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would the same apply to a 98 a3 1.8t? just bolt on and change the software??

·
Registered
701 Posts
if yours is 150 bhp, then it is a worthwhile mod, if it already has 180 bhp, then you have a k03s, and the new turbo is only worth 10bhp odd.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya its the 150bhp model, front wheel drive, its been chippped by upsolute to 197 i think, so would i want to get that remapped again after getting the ko4? saw a fitting guide on a vw site today, seems straight forward enough..

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok-the deal so far, i have been onto starperformance and told them my situation, i have sent numerous emails and all i got back was, what power would i like?? I told them in or around 300, thats with the intercooler, air filter and exhaust system already and a chip but still havent gotten a reply.. any ideas? very tempted to just get a ko4 out a tt and save myself alot of hassle..

·
Registered
701 Posts
k04 will not make 300 bhp. there is a hybrid one from Ls cartec that they CLAIM will make 300.but that k04 is not a bolt on upgrade for your car(manifolds,etc required) youre into ihi/gerrett turbo territory there, try jabbasport or jbs. or all the parts are available online if you can do it yourself. jbs are attempting to get 500bhp out of their octavia with a gt3071r, but i dont know much about big turbos to be honest.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Difficult to get 300 bhp from a KO4. The exhaust manifold will need to be replaced as this is the limiting factor in getting anywhere near your power requirements. You will also need a large intercooler, etc. You will defenitly need to get it remapped when everything is fitted, and DON'T hit high boost numbers until you get this done, as you will destroy the engine.

John

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i know but u have the manifold and intercooler ordered, its been mapped by logic but think it has to be re-remapped but realistically 280bhp would be very nice with a ko4 compared to the other garrett turbos etc that can cost a wee fortune, i can get one for around 400e, with all the rest of the mods and running on a higher boost it should b nice but dono wat kinda power it ll be...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Take what ever power claims these guys are making and divide it by 1.3. Take the cost they talk about and multiply it by 1.3. That should come pretty close to what its gonna cost and what it will go like.....

·
Registered
713 Posts
The most a K04 seems to actually make is about 265-275. Thats with FMIC, Downpipe etc etc and fully mapped on DTA or equivalent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts