Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone see him on rte last night (saturday)? i know there is at least one liverpool fan on these forums, so trying to be nice here......... did he come across as being a little "camp" to say the least. i know he is married,kids,etc. but i thought he was a camp comedian at the start, not having seen it from the very start. i only knew for certain it was him when they showed the "book signing" incident between him and keano.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
didnt see the show was it the late late???
ive seen him on soccer am on sky sports a few times with the tall fella from max and paddy and he was very funny, the two lads bouncing of eachother with jokes

[/quote]
did he come across as being a little "camp" to say the least.
and sure so what if he was,
im not haveing a go t18con

ps what if sol cambles problems were for similar reasons there is still alot of anti gay opinions amongst football fans,

·
Registered
888 Posts
Well he proved how he is still "thick as a plank" and he was caked in make-up. How we ever had that idiot playing for OUR country, I'll never know. He's about as Irish as Prince Philip.

I don't know what the general feeling is, but I, for one, don't want any "Plastic Paddies" pulling on the green shirt. First generation Irish, I have no problem with, but Staunton's determination to include "Granny Rule" players is an insult to his country.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
If they have a desire to play for the right reasons let them - there are alot of second generation irish around the world who would have grown up hearing nothing but stories of back in ireland and who like you or me would have watched euro 88 or whatever and got as excited.So if they have the ability and desire let them at it

Now i know this is hard to gauge anyone can say they want to play for ireland! take the likes of lee trundle for instance he's mad to play for ireland,he's frist generation as far as i know,id love to see him get a call up!

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
QUOTE (PGTi @ Feb 5 2006, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know what the general feeling is, but I, for one, don't want any "Plastic Paddies" pulling on the green shirt. First generation Irish, I have no problem with, but Staunton's determination to include "Granny Rule" players is an insult to his country.

It may be an insult to the country, but unfortunately at the moment, our great "Irish" players aren't
too wonderful, so it may take a few "plastic paddies" to give the team that dig-out that they may need
for Ireland to go anywhere in the future

·
Registered
888 Posts
How can anyone seriously support a team of "Plastic Paddies"?

Lee Trundle? If that lad cannot play for Wales, because he's not good enough, and is still playing for Swansea, let him stay where he is.

First Generation Irish, I can understand, but 2nd generation lads can play for their "own" country, which is definitely not Ireland.

McAteer, Townsend, Cascarino, Kiely etc would all have played for England, if picked and only played for us because there was an opportunity, not because of any patriotic act.

Martin Keown, formerly of Arsenal, is an example of an English footballer. He played for England because he was good enough, and he was English. His father was from Fermanagh and his mother, a Galway woman. Keown spent all his childhood summers in Ireland yet, when the choice presented itself, he chose his own country, not his parents.

We shoudn't accept cast-offs and shouldn't settle for being someone's 2nd choice.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
imo we dont have enough quality of our own home grown players to compete for qualification to the big tournaments, so i would have no problem with a few "plastic paddies" playing , if they want to play and give 100% during each game well then thats ok by me, because its more than some of the current players are giving,

on a similar note look at Triinidad & Tobago in this summers world cup, there team is full of second division players who had trinidad parents, and grandparents who moved to england, now there in the world cup,
more than we are

1 - 9 of 9 Posts