Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
Had my Anni for 3 years and this is the first time it has ever failed me.

Got up in morning tried to start the car to go to work and it was dead. So i assumed that i left the a light on or something.
I used a battery booster and the car started fine.
Went the 3mile trip to work. Parked up and turned off the car and tried to start it again and it failed. I assumed it was the trip was too short to get any charge.
So went on a long trip of about 30miles after work and got home and turned it off and tried to start it again straight away and yet again it failed to start.

So got the multi meter out: Battery Voltage
Car Turned Off: 12.56v
Car Running after Boost: 14.10v
After failed starting Attempt: 12.18V

The alternator seems to be working charging, so all i can guess is the battery is on the way out and not holding a big enough charge to crank the engine.

Any ideas guys.

Thanks,
John.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Grab a mates battery and put it in your car then try the things as above.

if that then works ul know to replace the battery, if still no change and car wont start its prob going to be the alternator.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (tonygriff @ Apr 19 2011, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if you are getting 14V when engine is running , then the Alternator is ok.

looks like the Battery is faulty.

Ya i think it is. Had a look at the ''Magic Eye'' and there its clear and not green as it should be. Its the original battery so its getting on in years.
Time for a new one i think.
Any idea what a new OEM battery costs from dealer?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I got a new battery before xmas, don't remember the cost but VW had two kinds, they're normal pricey one and a new budget range one thats still genuine VW but priced to compete with motorfactors.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Do you want me to give it a scan first John?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
QUOTE (GTIAnniversary1546 @ Apr 19 2011, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can anyone say know to a scan.Lol Why not.
But im 90% sure its the battery.
Drop me a text when you want to call over.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
QUOTE (GTIAnniversary1546 @ Apr 19 2011, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What one did you go for?
Cheap one

TBH its the same thing and my battery wasn't even dead, just peace of mind for the bad weather.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (kevinm @ Apr 19 2011, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Drop me a text when you want to call over.

I will do. Prob wont be untill the evening after work.

QUOTE (CK160 @ Apr 19 2011, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheap one

TBH its the same thing and my battery wasn't even dead, just peace of mind for the bad weather.

If i do go down the road of new battery i will be getting the cheap one too.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got this all sorted today. It was the battery like i thought just wouldnt take a charge.
So went to VW this morning and got myself a new battery. Got the cheap 'Economy' one. Cheaper then most other motorfactors and its Oem. Nice

Can put the jump leads away now.

Ps. Thanks for the heads up on the cheaper battery option CK160.

·
It&#39;s Michael for fecks sake&#33;
1,779 Posts
Seems a lot of car batteries these days fail without much warning. Also they can read a healthy voltage when switched off but you will find when you put the meter on the battery while cranking the voltage drops like a shot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
same thing happened in my 6n2 back in january some time, it was the original battery aswell that i had in mine but had fitted a dvd player and a set of hid's so it didnt do it any favours really. garage done me a new one for 20 quid coz i was taking two tires off em aswell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (GTIAnniversary1546 @ Apr 19 2011, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So got the multi meter out: Battery Voltage
Car Turned Off: 12.56v
Car Running after Boost: 14.10v
After failed starting Attempt: 12.18V

The alternator seems to be working charging, so all i can guess is the battery is on the way out and not holding a big enough charge to crank the engine.
Those voltages don't look too bad though the after starting attempt looks a bit low. It looks like its trying to charge when running.

Does it make any attempt to turn over, any clicking sounds?

Depending on what type of battery is fitted (with removable cell tops) you could try a simple test. Remove all the cell tops and get someone to crank the engine over, keep on trying to start it even though it may not turn over. Look inside each cell and if one or more cells starts to bubble then that cell is duff, new battery needed. If you can't see the electrolyte level on that battery then you're a bit stuffed on that test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.