Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I got stuff ordered from UK website, with DHL Express Shipping paid. It turns out the package was sent from China, and I got a call last Wednesday from DHL that the customs want proof of payment sent to them. I did it that evening, and till today there is still no update on it. Is this for real or customs just want to p**s off people??? I dont believe for a second that it takes that long for someone in their office to check it out, apply customs charge if applicable and let it go on its merry way.

Anyone else experience this?

Stan

·
Registered
651 Posts
stan,

this happened my mate from work about 2wks ago, he got parts from the states

he sent them proof of some sort, and the package was delivered about a week later..

·
Treffen-Heaven
2,295 Posts
I ordered parts from china 2 weeks ago and got a letter in the door today saying it was being held at customs til i showed proof of purchase and so they could calculate import duty!

So I emailed them my paypal receipt and got an email back within 15 minutes saying that's grand, I don't owe any duty, and the package had been dispatched to an post and should be with me in 2 days!

Very strange! Never happened to me before!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Probably a stupid question. Are you sure customs still have it? my last experience was once they got the proof of purchase, they applied the charge and let it off. Last time the delay was because of the post office depot.

·
Registered
566 Posts
they have clamped down now big time , they dont accept the package value anymore on selected packages because expensive items are coming in with a realy low package value to avoid tax, thats why they want your paypal receipt or something of the same to see what you paid, my package was held for a month and it would have continued to be held only i rang dhl and they picked it up from customs, it had cleared but was never picked back up

·
Low'N'Wide
480 Posts
Happened me before yeah with a pair of boxing gloves from Thailand, because they were brand new I had to pay Duty on them. If the stuff is marked 2nd hand e.g. used car parts, then my understanding of it is u wont have to pay anything on them...i think.....i stand to be corrected though! But i had no trouble getting them to me once i showed proof of purchase.

·
Go to heaven, ski like hell!
558 Posts
My advice - contact customs again tomorrow and check. As ppl said before - dont piss them off, it's not a way to go with them ( i work for a freight company and I deal with Cork customs on a daily basis, they do take their time sometimes but generally they are ok to deal with as long you're not importing drugs/guns to ireland lol)
DHL should tell you if Dublin or Cork customs have it, their phone numbers are on revenue.ie, look for imp-exp division.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.