Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
So what's the craic with these apps on iPhones that give you free texts to other smartphones with the same app? How do you know who has the app so that it's free? Do they work for international texts? And is there any app that gives you free calls (preferably international)?
Just trying to scope it all out before I invest as international calls and texts will make it very expensive for me over my current setup.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I heard about this from a friend yesterday. He mentioned there's this app called viber and it allows you call and text anyone who has an iPhone for free anywhere in the world. Thats all I know about it, the site shows its coming out on Android and Blackberry shortly and it requires a 3g or wifi connection, I suppose there isnt much of a difference to skype. He works in carphone warehouse so Id trust he's not exaggerating.

It is really tempting though.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Viber for the calls, Uses the 3g/wifi and is free.. I use it! And Whatsapp for the texting, I have it but i never use it!

Just do it Walter....

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, so viber is just iphone to iphone at the mo? And whatsapp is free texts to any smartphone?

I don't suppose there's any way of getting free calls to a mobile that isn't a smartphone? A lot of people i spend a long time on the phone to just have normal phones.... And when you're talking hour-long calls at 60 cent a minute every other day it soon adds up

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (ShaunieVW @ Apr 23 2011, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3 are also doing iphones for free on any of there bill pay packages

I'll be getting it free with Telstra...it's just the bills I'm worried about

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 are here alright but Telstra are the only company that provide coverage outside the cities. And at that only some phones can get coverage.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
text me
ping
whatsap

all spot on for free texts i use them with paul

·
Treffen-Heaven
2,295 Posts
Im a bit confused here.

I always thought these "free text/calls" apps had a catch. As in theyre free when you use them over wifi, fair enough, but if you wernt connected to wifi, you'd have to use 3G, as in your mobile internet, which costs credit.

So technically theyre costing you money but in a different way. Admittedly not as much money, but the only way theyre free for both users is if both users are connected to wifi?

·
Formally the tongue twister KEV GTI TDI 150
2,789 Posts
QUOTE (Mo Ryan @ Apr 23 2011, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im a bit confused here.

I always thought these "free text/calls" apps had a catch. As in theyre free when you use them over wifi, fair enough, but if you wernt connected to wifi, you'd have to use 3G, as in your mobile internet, which costs credit.

So technically theyre costing you money but in a different way. Admittedly not as much money, but the only way theyre free for both users is if both users are connected to wifi?
If your on a contract you will get a data allowance included in your package the same as you would get minutes and texts so as such won't cost you anything more than your tariff!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Jes i didnt know you were splashing out that much walt
iphone's are useless out here anyway, i have the 3gs, other lad i work with has the 4 and neither ever get full coverage his drops calls the whole time so if we need him we just text. E class nokia's or blackberry seem to be the best, their what my bosses used/are using.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Shaun @ Apr 24 2011, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Jes i didnt know you were splashing out that much walt
iphone's are useless out here anyway, i have the 3gs, other lad i work with has the 4 and neither ever get full coverage his drops calls the whole time so if we need him we just text. E class nokia's or blackberry seem to be the best, their what my bosses used/are using.

My boss has a 4 and he can get as much coverage as me with the crappy nokia, thats the only reason im thinkin about it. None of the smartphones are rural use approved but at least i know that one works!

@ Mo, as Kev said data comes on the tariff, I'll be getting 2.5gb a month so should be ok. Afaik the apps don't use much data.

Might have to get some people to invest in Skype phones.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Walter, does it have to be calls to mobile devices? Is landline an option?

Skype is great - laptop to laptop, mobile to mobile (with wifi link) but you can buy a subscription to allow you call landline numbers and also rent a landline number from them. Most countries are covered in the package so you can call (and use video) for as long as you want. The rented landline number simply means they can call you to your mobile or laptop possibly for free as for example UPC home landline voip service as part of yout tv package allows people make international calls. It's just another angle to consider where you could from your mobile or laptop call friends to their landlines at work or call those important German ebayers selling alloys lol

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's brilliant, exactly what I'm looking for. Cheers Mike.

·
Vagnut
271 Posts
Theres a really cool app ive just discovered for android phones called Heytell, its like a walkie talkie between whoever has the app on there phones.. try it and thank me later...

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
QUOTE (Deco Dunne @ Apr 24 2011, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Theres a really cool app ive just discovered for android phones called Heytell, its like a walkie talkie between whoever has the app on there phones.. try it and thank me later...

Called PTT push to talk. Was popular a while ago in US. Blackberry among others used it. Calls were free but similar to CBs it can be annoying the stop/start communication.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.