Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Declan
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howya!

I've always wanted to learn how to weld as theres always bit's and piece's that I want to do around the place.

Browsing Donedeal there seems plenty of kit's available at decent price's.

What would be the best kit to start off with? What kind of a spec should I be looking out for?

Have ye any advice?

I pretty much want to just be able to seam weld car's as well as fixing patches of rust.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Declan
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (GSBellew @ Apr 22 2011, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would start by having a read here: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Its a very good forum & a great help if you are just starting out.

I learned by reading up on there, then grabbing some off cuts of steel and trying, it was a case of trial and error to figure it out though

Cheers that looks a great resource. What sort of a welder did you start out with?

·
Registered
622 Posts
well I will say do not start welding with a mig, youneed to begin on a Arc or stick welder. you'll only keep [email protected]*king up the torch on the mig and their not cheap. you can only weld indoors with mig. and boc won't sell or rent you a bootle you'll someone in the industry who has an account with them.

have gander at done deal. or if you live in the country a farmer will have one ( might let you have play with and also advise you). also depending on the wiring in your shed you won't be able run it as it will keep tripping the breaker on over current.

I'd say your best bet to learn is FAS, they run evening course's there 10 weeks long and will get you up to speed on the basics or more if you do more than one course. but its all about pratice

·
Plane
3,414 Posts
I was in the same position about 2 years ago.

If you have a shed I would say go for the mig welder first if you can afford only one. ARC is grand but it cannot do what you'd like to do mentioned above.
Plus I found mig a lot easier to do.
Also get an autodarken visor. When I was learning I found that having 2 hands free a MUST.

I read lots, looked at youtube videos and looked at http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/. There are good tutorials on there and advise on welders too. I also got the haynes book on welding but it not worth it, I learned far more from that site and youtube.
Trial and error. You'll blow holes and have crap welds for a while to get used to wire feed speeds and welder settings but it's fun learning I found. Interesting anyway.

I bought a welder and I bought a half bottle of 02 with it so I dont pay rent on it.

First real thing I welded was this spit for my MKI project and it worked well.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I find tig welding to be much better for bodywork but its a little bit more complicated as you need both hands and your welding surface has to be absolutey spotless. But mig is good to start with. As said above, stay away from gas-less mig. And an arc welder will not be suitable for bodywork. Migs a good allrounder.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
mig welders are getting cheaper and cheaper,but put aside decent money and you'l get a decent welder.
i bought mine 3 years ago- and i went for a a S.I.P fan cooled welder, its a big welder on wheels.but theres no need for such a big welder if its just for body work (i do alot of heavy stuff on farm machinery so i needed a big welder.)

you'l get a good mask for 100quid now. try the sip website for prices.

Andrew

·
Registered
674 Posts
Protecting your hands eyes and anywhere else exposed is vital, you'll only let yourself get bad arc eye once, just about the most horrific pain, but it goes as quick as it came! And keep the mig reel dry and warm, useless when the wire starts to corrode. Do a course though, will save money in the long run

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.