Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well heres the situation im thinking about gtting my a4 2.5tdi quattro hybrid'd ive looked at a couple of places offering all the work done and the car yeilding 280-300bhp when finished
it includes the hybrid turbo bigger injectors front mount intercooler all the plumbing bigger exhausts and a custom map and organic clutch to me this sounds too good to be true and i have some concerns about the integrety of my cars components after it has been tuned ...

my concerns are obviously about the internals of the engine,its gearbox,diffs,and driveshafts?? surely my a4 couldnt take that sort of power with out sumtin going wrong??

if anyone has any insites or knowledge/experience with hybrid diesels feel free to share them thanks guys...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
QUOTE (a4 2.5tdi quattro @ Apr 27 2011, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>well heres the situation im thinking about gtting my a4 2.5tdi quattro hybrid'd ive looked at a couple of places offering all the work done and the car yeilding 280-300bhp when finished
it includes the hybrid turbo bigger injectors front mount intercooler all the plumbing bigger exhausts and a custom map and organic clutch to me this sounds too good to be true and i have some concerns about the integrety of my cars components after it has been tuned ...

my concerns are obviously about the internals of the engine,its gearbox,diffs,and driveshafts?? surely my a4 couldnt take that sort of power with out sumtin going wrong??

if anyone has any insites or knowledge/experience with hybrid diesels feel free to share them thanks guys...

why dont you just buy an s4?

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
QUOTE (DavidK @ Apr 28 2011, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>why dont you just buy an s4?

Id say it night have something to do with the associated running costs of a 4.2 V8 petrol ?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
QUOTE (Shane @ Apr 28 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Id say it night have something to do with the associated running costs of a 4.2 V8 petrol ?

yeah but if you consider the cost of getting 300 bhp out of a v6 tdi, what it will do to your running costs and take into account that the engine has a certain fragility vs the v8 which is a pretty tried and tested engine, not to mention there is already a pretty big lag in the turbo which you will increase and they're not geared to be a quick car, they're a cruiser, sure they're fast from 50 to 90 but they're not quick from a standstill, so what will you gain? As standard its pretty rubbish from a standstill because first is such a short gear, so what will 300 bhp do for you? Maybe i just dont get it

·
Go Big Or Go Home
7,890 Posts
i had 221 bhp in a pd 130 golf van.......no lag (there vnt turbos) and 5 seconds to 60, never gave any hassle engine wise and upset alot of stuff on the road plus still got 45 mpg, hybrid = winning.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
QUOTE (DavidK @ Apr 29 2011, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeah but if you consider the cost of getting 300 bhp out of a v6 tdi, what it will do to your running costs and take into account that the engine has a certain fragility vs the v8 which is a pretty tried and tested engine, not to mention there is already a pretty big lag in the turbo which you will increase and they're not geared to be a quick car, they're a cruiser, sure they're fast from 50 to 90 but they're not quick from a standstill, so what will you gain? As standard its pretty rubbish from a standstill because first is such a short gear, so what will 300 bhp do for you? Maybe i just dont get it

The are geared just fine the just have no power,off the line the are a dog but if you threw even 50 - 60 more bhp at it that would change,id imagine 300 bhp would be sweet.I still maintain if running costs are your overall deciding factor then a tuned 2.5 is still the one to go for over an S4.I've never been a fan of highly tuned diesels no i'll rephrased that i love the idea of highly tuned diesels and have had spins in some but i wouldn't spend the money doing it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
QUOTE (Razor @ Apr 29 2011, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i had 221 bhp in a pd 130 golf van.......no lag (there vnt turbos) and 5 seconds to 60, never gave any hassle engine wise and upset alot of stuff on the road plus still got 45 mpg, hybrid = winning.

Arent the 4 cylinder 8 valve asz engines bullet proof though and quite undertuned at 130bhp? if it can be done without causing a negative effect to fuel consumption or longevity of the engine I will happily eat my hat and very quickly jump on the band wagon. I looked into tuning mine and the general consensus from many tuning firms was not to bother on this engine and that they are quite highly strung.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
QUOTE (Shane @ Apr 29 2011, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The are geared just fine the just have no power,off the line the are a dog but if you threw even 50 - 60 more bhp at it that would change,id imagine 300 bhp would be sweet.I still maintain if running costs are your overall deciding factor then a tuned 2.5 is still the one to go for over an S4.I've never been a fan of highly tuned diesels no i'll rephrased that i love the idea of highly tuned diesels and have had spins in some but i wouldn't spend the money doing it.

thats interesting that you say that because 1st gear in my car is very very short, i figured it was a towing gear and the shift itself is a very broad shift. I agree that a 300 bhp diesel would be awesome but given the horror stories i've heard of with the 2.5 i wouldnt dare try it.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
QUOTE (DavidK @ Apr 29 2011, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thats interesting that you say that because 1st gear in my car is very very short, i figured it was a towing gear and the shift itself is a very broad shift. I agree that a 300 bhp diesel would be awesome but given the horror stories i've heard of with the 2.5 i wouldnt dare try it.

1st gear is short an most 'normal' vag cars,first gear on the bora was the same.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
QUOTE (Shane @ Apr 29 2011, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1st gear is short an most 'normal' vag cars,first gear on the bora was the same.

i've just had a look at elsa and my car doesnt have the same gearbox as yours or the 180bhp allroad. i had a 130 bhp bora, a 4motion 130bhp passat and an e39 525d m sport and 1st was a much longer gear in those cars. In my car 1st gear is like 2nd in a low range box of a land rover, it feels as though its just meant to get you rolling.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
QUOTE (DavidK @ Apr 29 2011, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i've just had a look at elsa and my car doesnt have the same gearbox as yours or the 180bhp allroad. i had a 130 bhp bora, a 4motion 130bhp passat and an e39 525d m sport and 1st was a much longer gear in those cars. In my car 1st gear is like 2nd in a low range box of a land rover, it feels as though its just meant to get you rolling.

What you mean it doesnt have same box as mine? its the same car.first gear in the bora was the same length as first gear in any other 6 speed mk4 i ever drove,the difference between the 5 speed boxes and 6 speed in the mk4 was 5th gear in the 6 speed was the extra cog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the links guys was kind of helpful. ha in an perfect world an s4 would be ideal but i'd never get insured and couldnt pay an esso truck to follow me around for fill ups every 100miles ha. i mean the tuning wont be costing a fortune i was pleasently suprised with the qoutes of between 1200-1500 sterling. id never be throwin my car off the line its more about just having that extra torque and power on tap and to have a diesel which can produce 300bhp reliably really.. ive seen golf and seat leons pd150s make 250-260 with the hybrid tuning im looking at and they havnt suffered any problems with engine internals or drive shafts etc just wondering about the quattro system in mine handling that much power with out mods?
oh hav 2 say mint car u hav david

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
QUOTE (Shane @ Apr 29 2011, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What you mean it doesnt have same box as mine? its the same car.first gear in the bora was the same length as first gear in any other 6 speed mk4 i ever drove,the difference between the 5 speed boxes and 6 speed in the mk4 was 5th gear in the 6 speed was the extra cog.

At the risk of sounding smart our cars are similar, they're not the same. From what I can see they also have a different engine code as well as gearbox code. The 01 a4 avant has an engine code of AKE while mine is BDH and your gearbox looks like its an ENV which is also known as 01EP and was the only manual gearbox available on the 01 2.5 v6 tdi quattro where as mine is FZK or 0A3B which is one of four manual boxes listed for the 8E2089. Dont ask me what the difference is but they're not the same.

I know what the difference is between the 6 and 5 speed boxes on the mk4 platform but this is completely different.

QUOTE (a4 2.5tdi quattro @ Apr 29 2011, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks for the links guys was kind of helpful. ha in an perfect world an s4 would be ideal but i'd never get insured and couldnt pay an esso truck to follow me around for fill ups every 100miles ha. i mean the tuning wont be costing a fortune i was pleasently suprised with the qoutes of between 1200-1500 sterling. id never be throwin my car off the line its more about just having that extra torque and power on tap and to have a diesel which can produce 300bhp reliably really.. ive seen golf and seat leons pd150s make 250-260 with the hybrid tuning im looking at and they havnt suffered any problems with engine internals or drive shafts etc just wondering about the quattro system in mine handling that much power with out mods?
oh hav 2 say mint car u hav david

Sorry mate, hadnt realised this was your car. Nice to meet you and your brother, serious cars the pair of you have. Are those genuine rs4 alloys on your car or are they reps? because i have a genuine set I dont use anymore if you're interested.

And thanks, it just got a wash.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
QUOTE (DavidK @ Apr 29 2011, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At the risk of sounding smart our cars are similar, they're not the same. From what I can see they also have a different engine code as well as gearbox code. The 01 a4 avant has an engine code of AKE while mine is BDH and your gearbox looks like its an ENV which is also known as 01EP and was the only manual gearbox available on the 01 2.5 v6 tdi quattro where as mine is FZK or 0A3B which is one of four manual boxes listed for the 8E2089. Dont ask me what the difference is but they're not the same.

I know what the difference is between the 6 and 5 speed boxes on the mk4 platform but this is completely different.

I was referencing the mk4 boxes as you had

I think you went a bit too anal there on engine and gearbox codes
despite the difference in gearbox codes i would bet any sum that the gearing inside is identical.

I agree 1st gear does feel like it is there just to get you rolling,but i also re state my point that is my experience with most 1st gears on non performance VAG cars of recent years,but if you throw a bit of decent power at that same 1st gear it transforms it somewhat which goes back to my original point that these cars aren't geared to be slow the just are slow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.