Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Been getting some knocking from my rear engine mount (the big one) of late.
Ive taken the front subframe off my self before, but what im wondering is, on an 8v mk2,

...... is the mount sitting on the subframe (bolted on)
...... or when you take the subframe off, does the mount fix to the engine block...?

I know i couldnt be more vague if I tried but...

In yer opinion, is it worth the (probably) 300euro for a main dealer to fit it, or get it from GSF for £15 and do it myself?

Also, my ISV valve is on its last legs so if any one out there has one with lil milage on it or is almost new give me a pm. (New ones just arent worth the money (200euro for a cheap one!))

Reliable VWs my arse!

(Before moderators change the name of this thread, ill do a How To here, when/if I do the job!)

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
It's not that hard to change the rear engine mount, it is held in with 2 17mm head bolts going up into it from the subframe and 3 13mm head bolts going straight down into it from above, these will be pretty hard to get at on an 8v as the throttle body is right in the way up above them. It's a bit awkward to do but should be possible.

I have an isv at home, I don't know what it is like but I can try it on my car for you if you want and let you know.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good stuff geo, well appreciated!

I was thinking if I drop the subframe off underneath and change it off the car... (thats what i was hoping i could do anyway!)

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Yeah dropping the subframe isn't really going to help that much, just take out the 13mm bolts at the top first, then jack the engine up off the mount, take out the 17mm ones from the bottom and the mount should just slide out easy enough.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill have to have another look.

Not removing the subframe would be way easier/faster, but could get very awkward (space to move spanners etc..).

I think im running out of parts that the car originally came with at this stage!

Cheers for the advice lads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts