Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I know this is a very broad question but how much roughly would it cos to supply and fit a new 2 litre diesel engine plus tank and all other bits and bobs to a Volkswagen T4? Its a petrol at the moment, i was just wondering like.

Anybody? I reckon it would be round the guts of 5-6 grand! What with supplying and fitting!

Not that theres anything wrong with the current engine for perspective buyers!!

Just if i wanted to change it to diesel!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id say id go with a 1.9,

Is there anybody good enough around to do a job like that, that you could trust?

Youd really want someone who does that type of work specifically wouldnt ye!

·
Formally the tongue twister KEV GTI TDI 150
2,789 Posts
QUOTE (Dermot @ Apr 5 2011, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Id say id go with a 1.9,

Is there anybody good enough around to do a job like that, that you could trust?

Could you justify that expense just to change to a diesel?, Would you not be better just selling what you have and buying a factory diesel?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (KevC @ Apr 5 2011, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could you justify that expense just to change to a diesel?, Would you not be better just selling what you have and buying a factory diesel?

I could, but im just asking like,

T4 Multivans arent that easy to come by on this island, and at 1992 its getting rarer!

Its absolutely spot on, and if i could change anything it would just be the engine!

Sure yed have a new van then!

Would ye not see it that way?

·
Registered
384 Posts
plenty of breakers in the UK can sell and fit engines from rear ended yokes..... 6k is madness if you ask me...each to their own..

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
QUOTE (Dermot @ Apr 5 2011, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Id say id go with a 1.9,

It's the most ridiculous idea i've ever read but anyway whatever you're into
George Dalton will happily fit you new stove
A Volkswagen garage will supply it to you i'm sure if there are any in stock

btw did you ever drive a 1.9d T4? It wouldnt pull a slippy used rubber off a little asian man after emptying his little bag

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You'll need the 'box too to keep the ratios right.

1.9td has the least complicated electronics. It's gutsy enough but wouldn't set the world on fire. So you'd be looking at a caravelle 2.5TDI and changing 5th gearset to 0.71 out of a MK3 TDI Golf for cruising. Buy a donor van and put the 2 side by side during the changeover. Then weigh in everything that's left.

I'd say if you wave that budget around you'll find many mechanics who'd take the job on. 1 day would drop both engines on the ground and another would have the TDI in place. Sure if they knew what they were at it couldn't take 2 more days to get it going IMO. 4 x 8 hour days for 2 mechanics @ €50 / man / hour + the cost of the donor at a guess.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im just dreamin like!! not that im gonna do it or anything, but if i had te!!

When i was buyin my van in Germany i came accross a few dealers that said that vans got a new engine in it, this van has a new engine in it, dont ask me why but its a new van now! even though it was an 89 t3, still he was right!

And yeah if i was i would deffo look at a donor!

In Germany theres companies who just sell engines recovered from crashed cars and im sure i could get a decent one for decent price!

But im just asking a general question from all of you clever fellows!

Im just thinking about the price of taxing it is why i said 1.9, id love a 2.5

·
&#39;Black Balled&#39; member
5,500 Posts
as ray so eliquently put it; the 1.9d n/a's are coma inducingly slow; expect to be in the hard shoulder a lot initially; after a few occasions 'trapped' there as everyone overtakes you just get used to holding everyone up - they are really easy on juice, believe it or not; no matter what is slung in the back of them...

You'll need to get someone else to do the engine swop for you; they are an absolute slut to work on at home on your driveway; I doubt mechanics jump with joy either seeing one roll into the workshop for an engine swop/clutch change etc., so you'll pay accordingly for getting someone else to do the swop.

·
16v FTW
1,232 Posts
QUOTE (Ray @ Apr 5 2011, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>btw did you ever drive a 1.9d T4? It wouldnt pull a slippy used rubber off a little asian man after emptying his little bag

Lord that's graphic

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
hi,
if i had to do,ie, all the work myself,and i was fitting a 2.5 tdi,ie the best of the diesels,i would say it could be done for at worst 2k,that is doing all the work yourself fitting a clutch and seals,
2.5tdi van a rough one with a good engine:750ish
parts you would replace:500ish
the rest for unexpected shit:750ish this could cover the labour cost..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.