Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner

Help Another Licence Plate Thread

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Alloy-Wheels.ie 
#1 ·
Well lads
I know there is a threa up here already about this but here goes

ARE YOU LEGELLY ALOUD TO HAVE YOUR FRONT LICENCE PLATE OFF TO THE SIDE????

I tried to search for the thread But I can't find it SORRY haha

If any one has the link to the thread please link me

Cheers

#3 ·
Will do cheers guards are trying to bring me to court over having it off to the side and I told him alfas and Mitsubishi evos come with it off to the side and he said it's not conforiming with eu regulations I have 6 days to to put it in the middle and bring the car the the station so they can see I have moved it to the middle, just would like to see the policy that states this law and I'll trow my hands up and do what the law says if I'm wrong!!

#4 ·
Get a photo of an alfa 156 and bring it politely down to the guard in question and argue the case that there's a car, there were thousands of them on the road (before they fell apart) and they were all like that. Tell him you'd just prefer to have it as it is on the car and let him decide. He might just say to get out of his sight and don't be annoying him which is a thumbs up without saying exactly that. Get his name when you're there for when the next one pulls you for it.

Or just put it on the front and leave it at that.

#6 ·
QUOTE (wot @ Apr 27 2011, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Get a photo of an alfa 156 and bring it politely down to the guard in question and argue the case that there's a car, there were thousands of them on the road (before they fell apart) and they were all like that. Tell him you'd just prefer to have it as it is on the car and let him decide. He might just say to get out of his sight and don't be annoying him which is a thumbs up without saying exactly that. Get his name when you're there for when the next one pulls you for it.

Or just put it on the front and leave it at that.
Yea I'm going print of a picture of alfas and evo and a see what he says( oh by the way this is on a none vag car nawt a german car!)

One of my friends lancer gsr went threw Nct at the weekend with the square plate to the side and nothing was said???

#8 ·
QUOTE (NeelieS14 @ Apr 27 2011, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>legally it has to be located on the front bumper, doesnt say where tho lol. i always had mine off side.

Yea he came up to the window are Said why have you no plate on the front and said is off to the side and he said where should it be? And I replied why what's wrong with it there ? He said it has to be in the middle and then I told him that evos had them on the side out if the factory and he said well im not having that and I was ok didn't want to start giving him cheek

And yea before any one says I wasNt cheeky to him at all! Couldnt have been nicer,,

#10 ·
There is a section that describes from what I remember the height boundaries for the plate to be within.
I remember this when Alfa 156 was released. I'd call into garda station before I changed a thing and ask for clarification.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
UPDATE ; went in to the cop shop in athlone today parked beside the window and went to a guard and told him that i as pulled ...blah blah said i was it illgel to have your licence plate to the side and he was like what are you on about i would have a clue
he then asked 3 other guards to have a look what they thought ,, they had'nt a problem with it as Long as it was clearly seen!!

i kinda laughed and then he rang traffic corq head quaters and asked a guard there and she said well i cant see anything wrong with it but he said go back to roscommon gardai and find out yermans name and ask to talk to him!

#13 ·
QUOTE (NeelieS14 @ Apr 27 2011, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>legally it has to be located on the front bumper, doesnt say where tho lol. i always had mine off side.
Legally it just has to be facing towards the front! I think i read on one of the 'Numberplate' threads where someone had it up on the windscreen, The guard pulled him, went to court & case was thrown out as it did not require to be mounted on the bumper!

have a read of the number plate guidelines to be sure...!

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is the regulation as set out in the statutes. It says nothing about bumpers but says it must be on the front or back and visible .....

Exhibition of identification marks.

26. (1) The identification mark of a vehicle shall, until it is scrapped, destroyed or sent permanently out of the State, be exhibited on a rectangular plate or on an unbroken rectangular surface forming part of the vehicle and in each case the identification mark shall conform as to lettering, numbering and otherwise, with the provisions set out in the Third Schedule to these Regulations.

(2) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (3) of this article, the identification mark of a vehicle shall be exhibited in the case of a vehicle, which has only one front wheel, on the back of the vehicle and in the case of any other vehicle on the front of and on the back of the vehicle in a vertical or nearly vertical position, so that every letter or figure of the identification mark is vertical or nearly vertical and is easily distinguishable, in the case of the letters and figures placed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and in the case of the letters and figures placed on the back of the vehicle, from behind the vehicle.

(3) Where one or more trailers of any kind are attached to a vehicle, a duplicate of the identification mark assigned to such vehicle shall be exhibited on the back of the rearmost trailer in the manner that the identification mark is required to be exhibited upon the back of the vehicle.

(4) No figures or letters and no design or ornamentation shall be placed near to the identification mark in such manner as to render it more difficult to read or distinguish the identification mark of a vehicle or trailer when in motion.

#16 ·
QUOTE (NeelieS14 @ Apr 27 2011, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>^^^ cool. doesnt specify font or plate size though does it? just no fancy stuff lol

See my post on the "other" plate thread

#17 ·
QUOTE (Burnsy1993 @ Apr 27 2011, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well lads
I know there is a threa up here already about this but here goes

ARE YOU LEGELLY ALOUD TO HAVE YOUR FRONT LICENCE PLATE OFF TO THE SIDE????

I tried to search for the thread But I can't find it SORRY haha

If any one has the link to the thread please link me

Cheers
yes you are look up the Road traffic act and see the bit about display of licence plates on the front of vehicles and bring that in with you. Cant argue the law when you have it in your hand!

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (syncropaddy @ Apr 27 2011, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is the regulation as set out in the statutes. It says nothing about bumpers but says it must be on the front or back and visible .....

Exhibition of identification marks.

26. (1) The identification mark of a vehicle shall, until it is scrapped, destroyed or sent permanently out of the State, be exhibited on a rectangular plate or on an unbroken rectangular surface forming part of the vehicle and in each case the identification mark shall conform as to lettering, numbering and otherwise, with the provisions set out in the Third Schedule to these Regulations.

(2) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (3) of this article, the identification mark of a vehicle shall be exhibited in the case of a vehicle, which has only one front wheel, on the back of the vehicle and in the case of any other vehicle on the front of and on the back of the vehicle in a vertical or nearly vertical position, so that every letter or figure of the identification mark is vertical or nearly vertical and is easily distinguishable, in the case of the letters and figures placed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and in the case of the letters and figures placed on the back of the vehicle, from behind the vehicle.

(3) Where one or more trailers of any kind are attached to a vehicle, a duplicate of the identification mark assigned to such vehicle shall be exhibited on the back of the rearmost trailer in the manner that the identification mark is required to be exhibited upon the back of the vehicle.

(4) No figures or letters and no design or ornamentation shall be placed near to the identification mark in such manner as to render it more difficult to read or distinguish the identification mark of a vehicle or trailer when in motion.
can you send me the link to this statute or give me the statue number and sub-numbers please? gonna print this out and keep it in the glove box.

had to do it with my yellow lights as i kept getting pulled, but once i proved it was legal they couldnt do a thing.

EDIT: its ok i found it.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
By having non standard plates and/or in a non standard position your leaving your hand out to be slapped imho.

Regardless of the law if your summonsed to court you have to go. The possibility of a court appearance and the hassle of attending would reason enough for me. Plus most cars that have reg plates in the window look brutal to begin with.

Its nearly become time vagdrivers had a reg plate forum dedicated to the tribulations of those with law books in the glove box to toss out the pros and grey areas of non compliance.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.