Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
A guy who is well up on Golf GTi's was looking at mine the other day and pointed out something which I had not even noticed.
The drivers seat bolster - not sure is that the right name for it - but you know what I mean - the right hand side part of the seat base - ie the part you sit on.

He correctly pointed that while the exterior seat fabric is sound and unworn the interior foam or padding that's inside has been worn down and become so thin that the seat frame can almost be felt underneath and its only a matter of time before this works its way up to the seat fabric.

Being the stitch in time saves nine type I am wondering if there is any seat repair place that can put in a bit of new padding and so prevent any permanent damage to the seat fabric?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Any upholstery place should be able to do what you describe.

But I've seen the results of jobs like this and while they are an improvement on your current situation, they never get the shape or feel of the bolster 100%

I have the same problem with my own mk2 and I managed to get my hands on a new foam base which I am going to get my own fabric transferred onto.

I reckon it's the only way to sort the problem out properly.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
mines been soft like that for the last 2 years and hasnt really changed, gonna wait on and get recaros though.

·
Registered
481 Posts
This is a really common problem. You can still get a replacement foam base from the dealer (€€€), but the best solution is either to repair it (done properly it is difficult to notice) or swap out with a good seat from another car. The pain there is changing the covers over, but at least you get a chance to throw them in the washing machine!

As most driver's seats suffer from the same condition, you can use the foam base from a passenger seat.

What I did with mine was to get it repaired and then recovered the seats in black leatherette. Has worked out nicely.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How long do they last anyway? I try to avoid ever sitting on the edge of the seat if I'm just getting something out of the glove box etc as I don't want to ruin the shape of the bolster on the lower part..

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (Mark N @ Dec 24 2005, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How long do they last anyway? I try to avoid ever sitting on the edge of the seat if I'm just getting something out of the glove box etc as I don't want to ruin the shape of the bolster on the lower part..
for what its worth, i had a single foam part replaced on my leon, its possible it might also fit your seat, might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
you need to alter the way you exit the car!!

No more putting your full weight on the bolster - try exiting through the sunroof it works for me!

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
QUOTE (Brendy @ Dec 24 2005, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>for what its worth, i had a single foam part replaced on my leon, its possible it might also fit your seat, might be worth checking out.

On the later mk2 seat like mine the base is all in one piece so the bolsters can't be replaced seperately.

I know on the corrado they can though so maybe the older type mk2 seat they are seperate as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
heres a phone number of a guy that does cars seats only in mayfield
in cork.he did a set for me and they where fine.he works out of his house.
there was a mk1 81 from kerry in the vage site that had the seats done by him.
they looked pretty good too.it was a black mk1 that is now blue with chrome
trim. if the owners a member here on this site through up some pics of the
seats.
021-4507993
hope this helps
jukes

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
Vita Cortex, in Kinsale, Cork do the foam, which can be cut to shape, done properly it would be every bit as good as a new VAG foam cushion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts