Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up my first petrol and first hatchback, still had to have 4drs
. few small bits of rust on the shell but fixable. 3 doors were a write off but picked up a full set over the weekend and have them on now. door cards need changin around and a bit of a tidy. took all the rubbers off to let them dry out a bit too.

the engine turns over but didn't try start it yet. going to clean out the tank, lines, filters, oil change and spark plugs before gettin it all fired up. if it dont run after all that, well we'll see what engine i can get cheap.

engine bay and sub frame is going to get a big clean up and a bit of paint.

going to sit it as low as it can go when its all ready. thinkin of leavin it on vento steels with 175/60/r14 tires but if you know of a lower profile tire please let me know

only took the one pic. hopefully i'll have it ready for the road soon, only get to work on it at the weekend but maybe by april for the slightly better weather

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers. its wierd cause i love the big bumper and was hopin to get a jetta. i'd love to put arches and change it to big bumper but there's no point makin it into something its not, unless the engine dont run and i'm forced to put in a g60 or something

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
didn't get much done this weekend, was tryin to fix the drivers mirror cable adjuster using parts from a spare vento mirror but cables are a little longer on the vento so no succses. guess i'll have to stick the handout the window now but no cable means less weight which is a good thing for the 1.3.

I'm also in the middle of swappin the door cards and freeing up the door handles but wont be puttin them on till i give the car a good compound. the bonnet was resprayed before for stone chips alegadly and wasn't laqured. not sure how well that is going to come up, anyone know what to do with that?

next weekend with a bit of luck i'll get started repairing the rust on the sills.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found tat I can get a lower profile tyre for the 14's, 175/50/14.

the vento steels look like g60's only smaller

but i need to refurb mine so anyone know wat paint i need to spray them?

i'll try get pics next weekend when if i pull it out of the shed and into the workshop.

·
Registered
220 Posts
more work done and this time i got some good pics. and the best bit is its running, took it for a lap this morn. needs a service but it ran once it got juice.

The grill is off and on de wheelie bin, the metal strip like the rest of the car needs a good compound too.

this is my little project in my grandfathers old house, now a converted shed next door to the workshop and also where the dog sleeps. hopefully will find a 2 post lift sometime. please any tips or comments welcome.

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

here's how bad the drivers door was when i went to see the car.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior

the vento steels, they need a full refurb and the low profile 175/50's

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

the bonnet mite need a respray again, dont think it will compound up

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

the rear passanger sill after being cleaned and fiber glassed over the hole about the size of my little finger. i've it sanded down now and fillers over it to give a smoother finish.

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Wood Gas

and the same one the rear drivers sill where the rubbers retained the water.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

and the boot needs to be all sanded down but no through holes found here

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Trunk Hood Automotive design

heres the reason why the whole engine bay needs to be stripped and resprayed

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
i've slow workin on this. there was a lot of rust when i sanded down where the boot closes to. out wit the mig and mini grinder and have it fairly sorted now. ready to sand down the fillers tonight hopefully.
i've got the back bumper and lights all taken off for cleaning too.

how do i remove the back badge without yankin it out and breakin the little clips?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
QUOTE (general V @ Mar 19 2010, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>how do i remove the back badge without yankin it out and breakin the little clips?
i would like to know this too

good luck with her mate

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Push it out from the inside.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just push? will try it in the morn again.

workin on the shell at the moment, want to get a base before puttin money into it.

lookin for one more rim, had a full spare set and i think the father through them out a few months ago.
cant find one anywhere at home. few pics of work to follow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally an update. only half way through one arch but happy the way its going. pics---->

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
To fill these flares i'll have to extend the hubs around 120-140mm each side. meaning my rear print will be about 9 inchs wider. i'll also be puttin a 3 degree chamber on de back too.

these arent the tyres that i'm planning on using either. they're 185/65 and i'm puttin 175/50 on them rims.

more pics--->

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
coming on well, id say either clean the tip on the mig welder or change the settings,its coming out a bit in a blob,it only takes a small spot weld at either side of a plate to hold it while you getting the arch together.
also-dont forget to just tack on the new sheets of metal, a long continous line of weld will be too hot on the panel and it will warp..

·
Registered
220 Posts
cheers lads, nearly finished all of the welding on that side. down and out!!!!

thanks andrew, new tip and new wire but cant turn de welder down low enough, its a really big mig. also not used to such light stuff. I was tackin it all over first and added more tacks between the tacks afterwards.

must get machining the stub axle extendsion soon. it looks so bad with the wheel back under in its norm place.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.