Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
1992 MK3, golf 1.8 carb.

the problem is that the rear lights are all over the place. when braking the indicators come on and stay on, so does the fog light led on the dash. if braking and indicating at the same time, the wrong indicator slightly flashes. the number plate lights are dimming when braking too.

checked all the bulbs and they're okay. so are the fuses i think (looking in dark with car interior light).

any advise should be simple to do and very cheap as the car will be for sale as soon as the mk2 is up and running.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
QUOTE (cian @ Mar 11 2006, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1992 MK3, golf 1.8 carb.

the problem is that the rear lights are all over the place. when braking the indicators come on and stay on, so does the fog light led on the dash. if braking and indicating at the same time, the wrong indicator slightly flashes. the number plate lights are dimming when braking too.

checked all the bulbs and they're okay. so are the fuses i think (looking in dark with car interior light).

any advise should be simple to do and very cheap as the car will be for sale as soon as the mk2 is up and running.

sounds like you have a bad earth / damp Try the bulb holders for damp first

·
Registered
551 Posts
QUOTE (liamO @ Mar 11 2006, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sounds like you have a bad earth / damp Try the bulb holders for damp first

Sounds like a dodgy earth to me, the folks used to have a Megane that did a similar thing with the rear left indicator, turned out to be a bad earth. I often see other Meganes on the road with the same problem

·
Registered
875 Posts
There's an earth wire to each light, and that needs to be checked. Also check that the bulbs are correct. I've seen twin filiment bulb's fitted to where they should be single's, or vice versa. This will also cause the same to happen.

John

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it appears to be sorted. i took out all the bulbs and reseated them. reseated the connectors and noticed the brown (earth i assume) on the passenger side was little loose. pushed it back into place and all seems fine now. it'll may come loose again but at least i know where to look next time and can wedge it in if it does.

cheers for the advise lads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts