Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kevin
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
windows won't move on the mk3, no warning, worked one day, didn't the next.

the light in the switch dims a bit when pressed, that's all.

where will I start looking?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Kev, is it both?
the dimming of the light in the switch would indicate that there is a current draw to the motor
it may be a dead regulator, but i would have thought the 2 to die together would be strange

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think there is a relay for the 2.
if you take the door card off and then put a multimeter on the motor vonnection block terminals and then press the button it will prove or disprove the wiring/relay. if you dont have a meter you can use a 12 volt bulb

·
Registered
226 Posts
have you tryed the rubber boot that goes from the car to the door sometimes the wiring brakes in there happened to mine before.it might be as simple as that.

·
Kevin
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (golf3turbo @ Feb 19 2006, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>have you tryed the rubber boot that goes from the car to the door sometimes the wiring brakes in there happened to mine before.it might be as simple as that.

this is exactly what had happened

thanks guys

·
Kevin
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in fairness that was the first bit of bother i've had with electrics so far

the abs was on the blink for a spell but that was of my own doing, it fixed itself after a while too

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I got my current Mk. 3, one of the rear windows wouldn't work. Turned out when I investigated it that the door had been replaced, and instead of unplugging the door's big loom connector, the feckin thing had been cut and badly soldered back together under the gaiter. Simple fix but you'd wonder what tool made the job so bloody hard on himself, not to mention destroying the reliability of it. I've noticed though that the other door looms are showing cracks on the wires - seems they're at their age now for that sort of fault.

@J-GTi
I don't think there's a relay in the door itself, I didn't find any when I stripped my doors down... If it's anywhere it'll be on the back of the fuse box, but a lot of the electrics don't use relays so maybe there isn't one at all...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts