Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads,
Just a warning to all of ye,i got pulled tonight for the german plates,i have the irl,baile atha cliath,the whole lot on them but got an 80 euro fine per plate and two court summones,
some garda who thought hed go to town on it,
Hope im the only one this weekend.

·
Formerly mark_eire
1,769 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I was stopped in the VR6 a few months back, it was a snotty fcuker of a guard, she told me to get rid of the german plates, that I'd be fined for them the next time, have since sold the car but have them on the vRS and Gti still, hopefully this isn't going to be the next money making target for them.....

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Harsh. Nice way of unnecessarily clogging up the court system too.

·
Scrap Man
0 Posts
i met the traffic corps and had no irish writing and just a D symbol, the guard told me the plates are fine and leave them on and get a fu*ing sticker with IRL is his exact word's

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
What did he say exactly was illegal about them?

QUOTE (Race RS @ Apr 23 2011, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lads,
Just a warning to all of ye,i got pulled tonight for the german plates,i have the irl,baile atha cliath,the whole lot on them but got an 80 euro fine per plate and two court summones,
some garda who thought hed go to town on it,
Hope im the only one this weekend.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Print off the document contained in the Irish statute linked on the Eireplates site. The font type is not specified but height is. The Germans are about 5 mm too high but that is the only issue with them.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
its cause of the bank holiday there everywhere. i passed through one yesterday at 4 and there was around 10 cars pulled in. english plates etc

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
QUOTE (Trevor @ Apr 23 2011, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Print off the document contained in the Irish statute linked on the Eireplates site. The font type is not specified but height is. The Germans are about 5 mm too high but that is the only issue with them.
x2
When I read the statute before I bought mine, Im nearly sure it said a minium of 70mm in height.. the German font is 75mm. I dont think they will do you for the height because its easy read, but they will because there is a cut in the zero!!

BTW i think the hypens are a few mil too short aswell...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
well personally I think its great that the gards are out doing their bit to save lives. As we all know well nothing has contributed more to road deaths in the last few years than slightly non-standard registration plates. Great job lads.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
On the plus side if you go to court with it, it will finally put a definitive answer to the "Are German plates legal" question that gets asked a lot.
I know two Garda with them fitted to there own cars lol just shows it depending on the officer that stops you. I cant see it being a money maker, its not like there are that many people with them fitted, a bigger money maker would be to get the Gardai in Donegal to enforce the reg plate standards there if that was the case, that alone could solve this debt crisis were in

Why people think they are being ball bags for being out on a bank holiday weekend when its proven road deaths increase is beyond me. Personally Im happy to see them out and highly visible doing there job, rather than sitting in a station somewhere sipping tea at my tax expense, but thats just my opinion on it

·
It&#39;s Michael for fecks sake&#33;
1,779 Posts
QUOTE (mikerd4 @ Apr 23 2011, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I cant see it being a money maker, its not like there are that many people with them fitted

Of course it is. Everyones on the road this weekend so the cops are told go out and get as many things they can to fine people and bring a few quid in, the plates would be part of it, every little helps.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (Micky 32 @ Apr 23 2011, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Of course it is. Everyones on the road this weekend so the cops are told go out and get as many things they can to fine people and bring a few quid in, the plates would be part of it, every little helps.

Its hardly the cops fault that people are breaking the law, they enforce it not make it.
As for being told to hit people for fines I highly doubt it. Remember these guys are as pissed off over tax hikes/pay cuts as the rest of us.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
QUOTE (Ciaran MK1 @ Apr 23 2011, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>got done for tax there, ballbags!!

You can't really have any complaints there can you? we all do it but if you get caught you get caught,there is no grey area there out of date tax is out of date tax

As for German plates maybe the powers that be have cottoned on to their popularity and have decided to cash in.Every scobie mobile in my town has them these days.When i first got German plates if i met another car on the road with them there would be a flash or wave you felt a connection.When i pulled up at the lights behind some dizzy bird in a cooper with German plates playing rebecca black at 400 db i knew the game was up.

I know some one who referred to them as the lexus lights of the VAG world and they are right,it will eventually get to the stage where guards see german plates and immediately think of scobie - ex civic - diesel audi/BMW/VW nuisance lets have a word with this guy!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.