Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used chips from different companies on the same engine.
gwerks, jabba, sns, jd ??
who do ye find most reliable and compitent?

any figures available to compare?
just trying to decide who to get to write my next chip?

·
The Lego Man
4,021 Posts
I run my 16vG60 on a custom g-werks chip and the diff between it and the bbm chip that was in it is night and day!

I took my car to jabba sport 3or4 years ago to get work done and engine and the chip they fitted did the job fine!

G-werks aftersales service is top notch and never had a prob with Jabbas aftersales!

G-werks get my vote for custom chips!

Edit;think i found the documentation for the charger,i'll send you a pm later.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using a gwerks chip and it was ok but I dont have anything to compare it to.
im after dropping pulley size another bit and going for a toothed belt so need a new chip,

was going to get a gwerks one again and maybe another one to compare and test

·
Registered
4,584 Posts

it should be written on the top of the chip

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
QUOTE (leebo @ Apr 17 2011, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>how do you tell where the chip is from ?i've a 68 pulley on mine i presume it would have to be chipped to suit .What does the chip look like anyway ?

you need to open the ECU. they are very easy to chip u do it in 5 mins. Im running all bar-tek stuff. Havent tried anything from G werks yet. I might do on my next install ment.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
QUOTE (4DMK1 @ Apr 15 2011, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was using a gwerks chip and it was ok but I dont have anything to compare it to.
im after dropping pulley size another bit and going for a toothed belt so need a new chip,

was going to get a gwerks one again and maybe another one to compare and test

Why are u going for toothed conversion?? word is across the water is they arent worth it and belts seem to be wearing very quickly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (kjk @ Apr 18 2011, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why are u going for toothed conversion?? word is across the water is they arent worth it and belts seem to be wearing very quickly.

no doubt they arent worth what they cost but sure what is?

belt wear wont be an issue unless they wear out every 500 miles, prob wont do more than that before the next rebuild the way things are going

anyone use an SNS anti-lag chip? they come in at 110pounds whats special about their claim of anti lag?
or a JD engineering chip costing 295 euro, any idea how they can try charge that for them?

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
QUOTE (kjk @ Apr 18 2011, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you need to open the ECU. they are very easy to chip u do it in 5 mins. Im running all bar-tek stuff. Havent tried anything from G werks yet. I might do on my next install ment.

How do you find the Bartek chip? What else did you source from them?
Just curious before I do my own.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
QUOTE (Mike @ Apr 18 2011, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How do you find the Bartek chip? What else did you source from them?
Just curious before I do my own.

I found it pretty good. Making some good power and all ar their chips are dyno proven but i persume most are. I have a few bits from them and its where i buy my rebuild kits for the chargers i have. They are very good to deal with.

I havent tested a g werks chip so i cant vouch for them.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
QUOTE (kjk @ Apr 19 2011, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I found it pretty good. Making some good power and all ar their chips are dyno proven but i persume most are. no digilag most chips have that mapped out anyway. I have a few bits from them and its where i buy my rebuild kits for the chargers i have. They are very good to deal with.

I havent tested a g werks chip so i cant vouch for them.

Thanks. Yes they were very good and knowledgeable to deal with.

Was the car RR'd before and after the chip to see the difference?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a Jabba Sport chip and changed it for SNS chip (both on a 68mm pulley), no drastic increase in power but the car felt more responsive. I have the feeling that Gwerks use the SNS chip as I bought my one off them.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
QUOTE (Mike @ Apr 19 2011, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks. Yes they were very good and knowledgeable to deal with.

Was the car RR'd before and after the chip to see the difference?

no wasnt roaded hard to get the car roaded down here unless u have a crowd. but i had gpne from standard chip and pulley to 68mm and chip to suit so i was obviously going to be happy at the time.

Have u had ur RR yet or was it done before?

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
QUOTE (kjk @ Apr 20 2011, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>no wasnt roaded hard to get the car roaded down here unless u have a crowd. but i had gpne from standard chip and pulley to 68mm and chip to suit so i was obviously going to be happy at the time.

Have u had ur RR yet or was it done before?
Not yet but yes want to do a before and after. Lining this up this week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have on my rado a kit from SLS.TUNING.DE, cam shaft,68 mm pulley,4 bar pressure valve (petrol) special plugs, air filter and chip and now has 214 hp with cat as standard and revs to 7200/rpm ; mark 4 golf gti(180 hp) gear box to suit the engine. have a look in germany

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
QUOTE (edycorrado @ Apr 30 2011, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have on my rado a kit from SLS.TUNING.DE, cam shaft,68 mm pulley,4 bar pressure valve (petrol) special plugs, air filter and chip and now has 214 hp with cat as standard and revs to 7200/rpm ; mark 4 golf gti(180 hp) gear box to suit the engine. have a look in germany

yeah SLS are good but bit expensive they were contracted back in the 90,s to rebuiled the chargers for VW

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive been in touch with JD engineering and they say the only correct way to do this is get it onto their rollers and write a chip using the figures they get from different runs, fit the new chip, test it and tweak it. quote 500 for a half day on roller including the chip,
but then i would have to drive it to the Netherlands.
They say buying a copy and paste chip is a waste of time for a modified engine because its all guess work on estimates...

I think Il do the rolling road work here in Ireland then send the data abroad to have the chip written.. Darren in g werks agree with me on this one too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (edycorrado @ Apr 30 2011, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have on my rado a kit from SLS.TUNING.DE, cam shaft,68 mm pulley,4 bar pressure valve (petrol) special plugs, air filter and chip and now has 214 hp with cat as standard and revs to 7200/rpm ; mark 4 golf gti(180 hp) gear box to suit the engine. have a look in germany

did you also uprate the fuel pump or just stick in a 4 bar fuel pressure regulator?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.