Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
the car is a 1989 mk2 8v gti.

the fuel pump relay gave trouble a while back but i never bothered to do anything about it as the car was sitting around idle. i took it out to get a replacement but have lost it since. first thing is does anyone know which number relay i need and what number slot does the relay fit into. i think i may have it in the correct place and the correct one but cannot start the car - see below......

also, there is an alarm in the car and when i connect the battery the light on the dash stays on. (the led that came with the alarm) when i was trying to the start the car the alarm light flashes in no particular order. seems to take on a life of its own. i disconnected the battery again and reconnected it and the led went off but came back on again when starting the car. i switched it off with the key on the main alarm unit, same crap. also if i use the remote fob, it does nothing (and the batteries are ok in the fob).

the main question i have is, i want to completely disconnect it by pulling the power out of it, without stripping it out of the car (i want to use the alarm in the future, it's linked to the central locking which is handy ) will this be enough to disable it, or is it connected to the ecu or something else that may stop the car starting?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers johnny, any idea what number is the relay itself?

i removed the alarm from (bit in engine) no lights are on on the dash now, does this mean it's fully disconnected?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
It's no. 18 i think

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers neil.

Just got my hands on the Haynes manual. It confirms what Johnny said. Fuel pump relay is second row up from bottom and second from left. The two relays I'm missing are second row of relays from bottom, numbers 4 & 5. According to Haynes these are:

4. Gearshift indicator control unit
5. Air conditioner relay

It was one of these relays that I took out of the car and meant to replace. I assume it was no. 4 as there is no air-con in the car. Would missing no. 4 stop the car from starting? The car does turn over, but just doesn't catch at all. What does no. 4 do? Also there is no sound from the fuel pump when I turn the key. And the fuse is ok. How can I test this or can I?

When I do turn the key, the temp gauge goes all the way to the right side and the light flashes. I remember someone talking about heater matrix trouble a while back saying if it goes it could leave a puddle on the ground. About 7-8 months ago there was lots water on the ground of the car but there didn't appear to be any leaks. The puddles disappeared and never returned. Does all this sound like a matrix gone tits up? Any easy way of checking/testing it? What kind of money are these?

·
Registered
875 Posts
The missing relay's will not stop your car from starting. First thing to check, when a car won't start, but turns over, in fuel and spark. It sounds like you have not fuel, as you cannot hear the pump run. The pump only runs for a second or 2, until the engine is running.

If you have confirmed that you problem is fuel, then you can bridge out the terminals on the relay board when the fuel pump relay is removed. I am pretty sure the terminal numbers you need to connect are no 6 to no 87, (if I had the relay in my hand I could tell you for sure).

This will by-pass the relay and the pump will run.

john

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had a look at that relay, the pins were in the following order

left side - 87
right side- 30
top left - 86
top right - 85

85 and 86 are next to each other and are horizontal

did you mean to short 86 and 87 as apposed to 6 and 87?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tried this tonight and the pump wirrred as it should. feckin car still didn't start though.

think it might be time to take it to someone who actually knows what they're doing

·
Registered
875 Posts
Seem's like you have no spark either. I would think it's related to the alarm. Have you tried disconnecting the alarm.

John

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya i took out the alarm. well the siren thingy under the bonnet. not sure if this will disable the alarm but the led on the dash ahs gone off. should i disconnect the control box thats under the dash? there is an led on that too. not sure what its called but has a - + dial on it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was hoping you weren't going to say that.

not even sure where to start. i assume the box thingy under the dash with the + - adjuster would be a good starting point and remove any wires connected to it? is there much more than that besides the sensors on the A-Pillars?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
You should get an alarm installer(if their called that) to pull it out!If you get one to do a nixer, he'd prob charge about €50-€80

I have 4 boxes under my dash with +- symbols on them.

I have some cross-overs for my speakers, control module for central locking, and my alarm control module. just be carefull you just don't end up with no sound from your speakers!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (neil @ Mar 7 2006, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You should get an alarm installer(if their called that) to pull it out!If you get one to do a nixer, he'd prob charge about €50-€80

I have 4 boxes under my dash with +- symbols on them.

I have some cross-overs for my speakers, control module for central locking, and my alarm control module. just be carefull you just don't end up with no sound from your speakers!

looks like one for the pro's so

lets just say "a friend of mine
" had alloy wheels with lock nuts and say he lost the lock nut key. what would be the best advise i could him for getting off the wheels

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Tell your friend, wink wink, to go to any tyre place or go to halfords to get a set of lock nut removers! €15 i think, got some for my friend too!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (neil @ Mar 8 2006, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tell your friend, wink wink, to go to any tyre place or go to halfords to get a set of lock nut removers! €15 i think, got some for my friend too!

I tell him that. cheers

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
QUOTE Disconnect alarm completely, as if you were removeing it. The siren is just a noise maker,
This is only true if you have 3 cables coming from siren...generally RED, BLACK, and BLUE..... +,-,control. If there are any more cables they mostlikely are tamper cables(to disable the car if someone tries disconnecting siren)or control cables for other sirens(or to horn relay...)

If you tell me the Make and model of the alarm I can help you as best I can.

Most alarms have an internal relay, or in some cases 2 or 3. If you arm the alarm these relays will disconnect power to Fuel pump or coil(via ECU) or both. In somecases (not yours) the starter control wire to the solenoid. If you disconnect battery, the relays may be left unconnected. The only way about this is to set the alarm and put it in garage mode. then disconnect. Mos installers will shorten cables to make it difficult to by-pass an alarm control relay....

QUOTE not sure what its called but has a - + dial on it.
Chances are (if this has 3 sets of cables going into it) that this is the sensitivity control for your ultra sonic sensors.... leave these connected for trouble shooting.

QUOTE the pump wirrred as it should. feckin car still didn't start though
Are you sure this is the main pump and not just the lifter pump in the tank?
If it is the main pump, this is a good sign..... next see if there is a spark @ your sparkplugs. If you find one, your alarm is unlikely to be your problem.

QUOTE what would be the best advise i could him for getting off the wheels
Old cheap socket set hammered onto the offending nut always worked for me!!!!!

Hope this helps somewhat......

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (98MK1 @ Mar 8 2006, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>,
This is only true if you have 3 cables coming from siren...generally RED, BLACK, and BLUE..... +,-,control. If there are any more cables they mostlikely are tamper cables(to disable the car if someone tries disconnecting siren)or control cables for other sirens(or to horn relay...)

If you tell me the Make and model of the alarm I can help you as best I can.

Most alarms have an internal relay, or in some cases 2 or 3. If you arm the alarm these relays will disconnect power to Fuel pump or coil(via ECU) or both. In somecases (not yours) the starter control wire to the solenoid. If you disconnect battery, the relays may be left unconnected. The only way about this is to set the alarm and put it in garage mode. then disconnect. Mos installers will shorten cables to make it difficult to by-pass an alarm control relay....
Chances are (if this has 3 sets of cables going into it) that this is the sensitivity control for your ultra sonic sensors.... leave these connected for trouble shooting.
Are you sure this is the main pump and not just the lifter pump in the tank?
If it is the main pump, this is a good sign..... next see if there is a spark @ your sparkplugs. If you find one, your alarm is unlikely to be your problem.
Old cheap socket set hammered onto the offending nut always worked for me!!!!!

Hope this helps somewhat......

Hope you can help, would appreciate it. i'd love to get the car started.

according to the remote it's a Serpi Star MPT 1340WT (sticker has T1H02086 which i assume is a serial number)

i can't set the alarm to put it into garage mode. when i connect the battery, the led on the dash comes on and stays on. the remote (which has a good battery, well the light flashes on it) does nothing. but if i try to start the car the led flashes on and off or dims or etc etc etc. it's got a mind of its own. it's gone off now along with the led on the - + thingying under the dash.

i think i'll spend the €15 if it's easier option, yes i'm lazy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts