Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question.
One of the lads in work has a 1.4 Mark 5 golf.
He is getting a fuel consumption of 27mpg. To me this sounds very low.

My question is, is this right. Could it be that the engine is small for such a heavy car, which would make it inefficient, or is it running too rich?

What is the manufacturers value for mpg for this car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sounds very low, i used to get 41mpg with steel wheels but mine was a mk4 1.4, fell to about 39mpg with 16in wheels

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's an old fart so it would be very leisurly normal driving. Think he is about 60.......

·
Registered
551 Posts
is he sitting in traffic a lot of the time?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Short runs but not in traffic. He starts work at half 7 so he beats the traffic and finishes at half 4.

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
Are you sure that he is working it out correctly? ie filling the tank to the brim, resetting the odo, refilling at the same pump again to the brim. taking it that there is 4.54 litres in a gallon etc.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
I dont think it is possible to drive a 1.4 hard enough to warrant 27mpg my old 1.4 bora gave a constant 40 ish even when driving it "Hard"!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Told him what to do exactly, so hopefully he will do that and get a realistic figure.
Probably getting it arse ways alright, seems like way too little.

Thanks for the help and i'll keep ye posted on how he gets on. Not sure about his intelligence really, now that I think of it......

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No point in even trying to argue that on this site really is there? Might aswell be talking to a brick wall......

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My GTI nearly gets that MPG!! Something not right...If it's a MKV it's presumably still under warranty so why not bring it to the dealer?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
QUOTE (Mark N @ Jan 26 2006, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My GTI nearly gets that MPG!! Something not right...If it's a MKV it's presumably still under warranty so why not bring it to the dealer?

I'd be happy with 27mpg alright !!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
QUOTE (thos @ Jan 26 2006, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd be happy with 27mpg alright !!

I'd say that trek in from Wickla is drinking the good stuff Tom. I'm filling up every 5/6 days at the moment.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
QUOTE (Mark N @ Jan 26 2006, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd say that trek in from Wickla is drinking the good stuff Tom. I'm filling up every 5/6 days at the moment.

The motorway/dualer streches are grand - 30mpg, it's the bits either end that cause problems. Just a matter of being a little bit more creative with the mileage forms

1 - 19 of 19 Posts