1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stolen from cruiseirl:

QUOTE From the Irish Times

Ferrari was driven at more than 190k/ph in race with motorcycle

A Ferrari travelled at speeds in excess of 190k/ph (120mph) as it raced a high-powered motorbike on a dual carriageway near Galway city before both sped away from a chasing Garda Toyota Avensis car.

The following day Garda Paul O'Donoghue traced the owner, Peter Maher (30), Renville, Oranmore, Galway, who admitted he had been driving the car. Garda O'Donoghue told Galway District Court yesterday that on January 22nd last year at 1.30am he was a front-seat passenger in a Garda patrol car when he noticed the Ferrari ahead of him on the inside lane of a dual carriageway. A motorcycle was on the outside lane.

The Ferrari driver and the the motorcycle rider, Kieran Flaherty (28 , Parkmore, Dooras, Kinvara, "lined up" beside each other before accelerating in a high-speed race down the dual carriageway.

Weather conditions at the time, Garda O'Donoghue said, were not good. It was misting, the road was wet and visibility was poor.

The Ferrari soon outstripped the motorcycle and sped away at speeds in excess of 192k/ph, but gardaí managed to keep the motorcycle, which had slowed somewhat, in their sights. Flaherty continued to travel at high speed on the English-registered motorcycle before pulling in near Kilcolgan village, six miles away.

Maher and Flaherty, who did not know each other, admitted dangerous driving. Judge Mary Fahy said both men had acted in a juvenile manner. She convicted and fined Maher €600 and disqualified him from driving for six months.

She fined Flaherty €500 for dangerous driving and disqualified him from driving for six months.

He was fined a further €300 for not having insurance.

Didnt the garda had much comeback tracing you the next day ...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
He was still looking for him until the next day when he found him Tom

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
You'd want to watch out for them Garda!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'm not one for breaking the law or anything, but if I was on an English reg motorbike and being chased by an Avensis....Mmmmm

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
eh, maybe you should read it again, particularly this bit:

QUOTE Judge Mary Fahy said both men had acted in a juvenile manner. She convicted and fined Maher €600 and disqualified him from driving for six months.

She fined Flaherty €500 for dangerous driving and disqualified him from driving for six months.

·
Registered
270 Posts
6 months is nothing though for speeds like that. It usually 2+ years and anything upto 5 years for a serious offence is it not?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kinda thought it was light enough given the circumstances. Considering you can now get 12points for driving down to the shops

·
Registered
875 Posts
An avensis caught a bike, what. That Garda is some driver, or the biker is sh1t. English reg and all. Would'nt happen round I tell yeh.

John

·
Registered
304 Posts
Appears to be a very light sentence...

·
Damien
129 Posts
Your man who owned the Ferrari which was 10 years old sold it between the time he was caught and in court. The high speed was done on a dead straight Dual Carraigeway, but once he came off it your man on the bike probably sh*t himself. The roads were damp at the time and at that hour of the morning the bike rider probably wasn't going to risk his life out on the country roads.
I can't figure out why they didn't floor it once they saw the cops, because there are any amount of roads to choose. The Ferrari did get away. I don't know did they get his reg but he was probably only caught because its the only red one in the area.

·
Registered
254 Posts
@Damien,

There are five other red Ferrari's within 10miles of us.....you just have to know where to look!

They most likely got his reg no.

·
Registered
347 Posts
QUOTE (cardoor @ Jan 28 2006, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know did they get his reg but he was probably only caught because its the only red one in the area.

think this is the one that was previously yellow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts