Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads,
I have a '91 Mk2 8v that needs some engine work (head gasket, valve seats etc). At this point
I was thinking that as I'm at it I may as well do a few upgrades. Here's a few questions that some
of ye might be able to help me with :
Ported heads and 4 branch manifolds - is there a big diffence to an engine with these fitted and
are any power gains at the expense of low down torque ? How about cams - are they worth
considering ?
Also is it worth swapping the 1.8 block for a 2.0 litre block and if so, what 2.0 litre block can I use ?
I understand the Mk3 engine has clearance probs in a Mk2 ?
Conversions like the G60 - are they hassle, expensive, worth it ?
Finally would any of you out there know what's involved in fitting a GTI Engineering RE2000 2.0 16v
(K-jetronic) motor into my Digifant Mk2 ?

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
the mk3 2L 8v block can be used or the audi 2L if you change the sump and oil pick up pipe. you need an adapter ring to fit the mk2 distributer if you get a 94(?) onwards block, i think you need to change the drive gear on the distributer to the mk3 one.

if you want to fit a mk2 16v engine then you need to change the wiring and fuel pump, the mk2 8v uses a 3 bar pump and the mk2 16v uses a 4 bar pump so you need to swap in the 16v pump and fuel lines. the engine bay wiring loom needs to be swapped for the 16v one and then there is a control unit inside the car behind the centre console that needs to be fitted and wired in to the fusebox.

what year is the donor 16v because if its pre 1990 the wiring loom wont be compatable with your 91

the 8v and 16v gearbox are different too, the 16v has a bigger spline on the input shaft so if you use an 8v box use an 8v clutch disk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the info Ronan.
The donor 16v is 1987 so I guess that's a no go.
Can you tell me if fitting a 2 litre 8v engine makes much of a difference over the standard 1.8 ? After owning a few Mk2's and a Corrado, I prefer the flexiblity/torque of the 8 valve motors.
I was considering the 16v because it was a 2 litre GTI Engineering engine.

I see you have done a few engine conversions yourself. What's your view on the G60 engine ?

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
ive never done or driven a 2L 8v so i couldnt say.

you could still fit the 2L 16v if you get a 1990 engine loom for a 16v

the G60 engine conversion is well worth doing and you have the ideal base car being a >90 8 valve, its not a cheap conversion though when you add everything up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts