Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Very important lads,

My intention to apply for a follow on course from computing ordinary bsc(diploma for the ole fellas amongst us) has just slapped me in the face as we have been told we have to apply for follow on courses by april 1st

Ive always wanted to go into the field of mapping/programming ECUs or automotive computer engineering.

So i need phone numbers/email address/web sites for relative companys in Ireland/England that might accept me for work expierence in the 3rd hons degree year. ie revo....

Any help would be very well appreciated!

Oisin

Ive just heard theres a software house in Mallow, Cork who design code for things like VAG COM diagnostics?!

·
Registered
406 Posts
QUOTE (Oisin @ Mar 28 2006, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bump

hmm do you just want to learn to MAP or do you have to actually be able to write/programme mapping software?

if its the later then I reckon you're heading for the UK to be honest, most of the ECU tuners here use software supplied by the likes of REVO, MoTech etc and can map cars as well as the rest, but for a true understanding of the technology you may have to go to the source, in one way we're lucky to be close to the UK in terms of the motorsport technology based there with WRC and F1

if its to learn the skill of mapping then I suppose, Westward Engineering, McKinstry Motorsport, Aidan Fields Motorsport or even TTI would be palces to send the oul cv...

havent got contact details to hand but a quick google should help ye...

oh yeah you could do worese then to approach the big manufactuers in the UK as they will be at the forefront of that stuff too...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be hoping maybe to get work with an ECU tuner here, which would lead me on to Revo and the like...
Its annoying now at the minute as I dont know the road to go yet!

The company in Mallow is called Snap On Diagnostics. Will try them first!

·
Registered
701 Posts
just my point of view,now i dont know much about it. buy or build an 18t mk2, go emerald or dta and get out on the road with your laptop see what if i add fuel here, what if i take it away here and learn to program basics on your own car. then you are in the position where maybe someone will trust you to program theres and work from there on simpler non o e systems.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks t18con but If I could do that, id have the 1.8 8v wiped outta her in no time!
Its not really the physical installation of the software im looking to get into, more, writing the code the run it!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Would give you a go, but we don't have a rolling road, but any help we can give you, we will.

Get a book by Dave Walker of Emerald Engineering on fitting, mapping etc, very good and no bull-shit.

Look at a company called extra efi in the uk, ExtraEFI.co.uk

Look for anything on the net about megasquirt.

PM me if would like a chat.

John
JOMO Engineering

·
Registered
440 Posts
Remapping companies r a penny a dozen in England...Jabbasport, upsolution & revo are but just a few. Check out the net on yahoo and u will find some.

Hope this helps - Best of luck

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Oision the closest thing to what you want is probably by getting involved in the MegaSquirt program -"MegaSquirt is intended as an educational project for those who want to learn about electronic fuel injection".

It's DIY build, open-source software. http://www.megasquirt.info/

Any tuner in Ireland is going to show you how to map, or how to use existing software. But you'd need a place like Emerald, Motech, Omex, MBE - to show you how ECU's are built, how the software controls them, how they control sensors, how they control the engine etc.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im looking continously on the net.

In a way I think im coming at it with the wrong back ground, but then again, what other background could I come at it from!?

Johnny, I might give a spin up to you someday in may to see what yer doing up there if you dont mind. Cheers for the good intentions mate!

That megasquirt thing looks good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts