Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dear friends,

As the topic says, the plastic bits on my dipstick are in smithereens and according to VW its 3 euro for the top bit and 26 euro for the almost identical bottom bit. So while I look for the prozac and get ready to part with dollars, I need to get the car mobile again. According to Haynes, the capacity is 3.8 for my 1.8 1992 ABS engine. Anyone reckon they are wrong? I've stuck exactly 3.8 ltrs in yet the oil light is refusing to go off after plenty of revving and idling.

**edit**
Ignoring the fact that every oil seal and switch on this engine is brand new including head gasket, I wonder is my problem down to the fact that I'm using 10/40 semisynthetic for the first time in this 14 year old engine.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
If you put 3.8 litres in it and the light is on then adding another bit of oil isn't going to make any difference to the oil light, you need to get an oil pressure gauge on it to tell you if you have oil pressure or not.

Is this the first time it was started since replacing all the gaskets and stuff? It might be that the oil pump just can't pick up the oil as there is none in the pump already.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Geo @ Jan 30 2006, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you put 3.8 litres in it and the light is on then adding another bit of oil isn't going to make any difference to the oil light, you need to get an oil pressure gauge on it to tell you if you have oil pressure or not.

Is this the first time it was started since replacing all the gaskets and stuff? It might be that the oil pump just can't pick up the oil as there is none in the pump already.

Yeah first time its been started, although I could hear a distinct lowering in engine noise after the first 3 seconds as the oil must have been getting in and around the bits.
I suppose there would be no oil in the filter if the pump wasnt picking it up?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Yeah it sounds as though you might just have a problem with the senders or the sender wiring. Best thing to do would be get an oil pressure gauge on it that will tell you straight away what the problem is.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Geo @ Jan 30 2006, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah it sounds as though you might just have a problem with the senders or the sender wiring. Best thing to do would be get an oil pressure gauge on it that will tell you straight away what the problem is.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Thanks, I'm in Dunboyne.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Agree with above, answered this morning without the required several coffee's and ***'s. Brain not in gear.
I will remember to fuel up before I go on in the morning's.

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Glenn @ Jan 30 2006, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The complete clip is only about 3 quid from GSF

GSF online catalogue dont list any clips for my ***** and having looked around the scrappy, they all seem different and the bore of my tube is bigger than any of the other VWs Audis Seats.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered the top (dipstick collar guide?) bit from VW today, and its 4 euro for an inch long piece of plastic. The bottom bit I could see on the screen was still being quoted as 26 euro and its practically identical to the top one, what a joke. I see GSF list a 'dipstick guide' for a Mk3 Golf with the same spec engine as my own (1.8 8v SPi) for £1, maybe they stock this odd part because VW are ripping us off.

Isnt it shameful how they dont have a reverse-indexed price scale for old VW car-parts. A 3 piece reconditioned clutch kit from them could be worth more than the car yet by prolonging the life of these oldies we are selling 'VW reliability' for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts