Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads and lasses,

With all the talk of 2.0 PD injectors and DPFs in other topics, just thought id ask the question, how many of ye use
fuel cleaner in yuor cars, when I say fuel cleaner I mean additives like 44K or RedX and the like.
Three diesel cars in the family the oldest being a 03 1.9 Seat Toledo with 150k miles on it. Always use a fuel additive
every month or two, car i never smokey on start up or acceleration. Also had a 92 mini cooper spi a few year ago that it
fuel additive cleaned up after buying it, so i do swear by it on the older cars.
But dont want to use it on my Octavia incase it effects the DPF or injectors?
I suppose it would be no harm to injectors as it seems to be elec. problems that hinder these. But not to sure about the DPF.

What are your thoughts??

·
Registered
374 Posts
QUOTE (J.R @ Apr 11 2011, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Lads and lasses,

With all the talk of 2.0 PD injectors and DPFs in other topics, just thought id ask the question, how many of ye use
fuel cleaner in yuor cars, when I say fuel cleaner I mean additives like 44K or RedX and the like.
Three diesel cars in the family the oldest being a 03 1.9 Seat Toledo with 150k miles on it. Always use a fuel additive
every month or two, car i never smokey on start up or acceleration. Also had a 92 mini cooper spi a few year ago that it
fuel additive cleaned up after buying it, so i do swear by it on the older cars.
I suppose it would be no harm to injectors as it seems to be elec. problems that hinder these. But not to sure about the DPF.

What are your thoughts??

I put Redex into the wifes 2006 2.0TDI passat. I don't know whether it's doing it any good.........

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE (mossey0708 @ Apr 12 2011, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bulk bought redex on a BOGOF sale at a factor's, found it alright. Eventually ran out and switched to Miller's. Impressive stuff. Notably better, and she won't even smoke on the dyno now!

Better value too as the dilution ratio is higher. IIRC
I've a bottle of millers in the boot. Just wondering do you use it with every fill or just every now and then?

·
Registered
374 Posts
QUOTE (mossey0708 @ Apr 12 2011, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I try to use it every fill, though to be fair, its more like every second fill!

Anybody know if it would be worthwhile throwing a drop of the petrol version of this stuff into my 99 Golf GTI 18T/

Thanks

·
Oh Glenn, you nasty&#33;
2,931 Posts
Hardly cost effective using it in every tank? An extra €10 or so a fill. I used the STP pre nct pack for diesels and noticed a significant reduction in the overall fuel consumption. 2 bottles for €10 in woodies (15 in halfords) I've filled twice since and the consumption is still the same. Dropped from an average 6.6l /100 to 6.2l /100

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I used redex often (not every tank) for about a year (A4 tdi), and when my catalytic converter went, most of the vendors I talked to about replacing it asked if I had been using additives. Id still use it again, but as they mentioned, I wont be binging on the stuff.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Have been using Millers for the last couple of years. It cost me £10 on ebay incl delivery and its 10 tanks of 50 litres. Always use it in every tank.
Runs so much cleaner and smoother

·
Registered
638 Posts
I use Dipetane on petrols and diesels every 3rd tankful but have heard very good reports on Millers so Im gonna give that a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (J.R @ Apr 11 2011, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Lads and lasses,

What are your thoughts??

The fuel treatment will not make any difference to your DPF. Thats down to oil quality. Mobil 1 5W/30.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.