Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cant believe it, theres cream all over the underside of my camshaft cover again, and this just 1 month after a new head gasket and head skim. The dipstick however shows no signs of this at all unlike last time when it was like the spoon in a knickerbockerglory desert thingy. In fact after 1 month the 10/40 semi-synth oil is still clear i.e. I can see the cross hatching on the dipstick thru the oil !

Cant think of anything only a re-torque of the head bolts, is that it?

('92 1.8 ABS)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gonna get caught out here ronan, eh.....do I have one?

I'm gonna get a pic of the one thing I'm not sure about although I think its just a crankcase breather manifold, I didnt take it off at the time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am no expert hence the lack of nows. Whats the thing in this pic, it has no visible coolant supply hence the reason I dont think its an oil cooler, just a breather.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
The oil cooler should be just below that! Where your filter screws on!

Is it a mk3 8valve?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I'd say that as long as the oil is clear you are ok. In this kind of weather there will be a certain amount of white build up inside the engine due to condensation, especially if the car has only been used for short runs. As long as the oil is clear and there are no other symptoms of head gasket failure then you should be ok.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cleaned it off again this evening and also went another 90 degrees on the head bolts, I'll have to leave it a few days and take for a long spin at the weekend maybe. I do 6 mls to and from work at avg of 50 mph so dunno about condensation. Might just have to put up with this if changing the oil and filter again doesnt help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE (jimmylin @ Feb 27 2006, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cleaned it off again this evening and also went another 90 degrees on the head bolts, I'll have to leave it a few days and take for a long spin at the weekend maybe. I do 6 mls to and from work at avg of 50 mph so dunno about condensation. Might just have to put up with this if changing the oil and filter again doesnt help.

check To see if your Crank cace breather is clean because if this is blocked or dirty it can cause the creamy deposite on the cam box.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Maybe you have a neighbour that sneaks over to your house in the middle of the night that LOVES your car, very much!!!????

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (98MK1 @ Feb 28 2006, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe you have a neighbour that sneaks over to your house in the middle of the night that LOVES your car, very much!!!????

Bwahahahahahaha!

·
Registered
875 Posts
If the cylinder head was torqued properly and to specification when the head gasket was replaced, do not attempt to tighten it anymore, ever. This will destroy the gasket, stretch the bolts, or worse still, crack the block across the bolt-hole's.

John

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
did your eastern european friend use a torque wrench when he assembled the engine or did he make his own one of those too!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (ronan @ Mar 1 2006, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>did your eastern european friend use a torque wrench when he assembled the engine or did he make his own one of those too!

yep, shot him today !

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hmm we studied this in college probably the only thing its good for,
Some engines suffer from the formation of foam or froth in the oil and anti-foam Agents are an additives in fully synthetic oils to reduce the tendancy of the froth build up

My 2 cents

·
Registered
875 Posts
KJK, this rarely happens these day's, due to advances in modern oil's and engine's. The additives that your lecturer speaks of, are in all oils these day,s and not only fully synth.

Engine's that get very small mileage or never reach operating tempreture's may suffer slightly, and this is usually found in the camshaft cover or breather hose'.

John

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
QUOTE (johnny99 @ Mar 11 2006, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>KJK, this rarely happens these day's, due to advances in modern oil's and engine's. The additives that your lecturer speaks of, are in all oils these day,s and not only fully synth.

Engine's that get very small mileage or never reach operating tempreture's may suffer slightly, and this is usually found in the camshaft cover or breather hose'.
John

looks like its good for nothin then, have u fouind a solution yet???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts