Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm interested in buying a Columbus unit for my car. Have seen a few on e bay. Any advice on buying one? I will definitely be trying to buy a used one as my budget is around the 500 euro mark. Can any one recommend an e bay seller that they have used?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not sure about the ebay ones, usually they are Chinese clones or stolen (from what i have seen comments on briskoda)

keep an eye on briskoda for one,

edit: there is also the option of the VW RNS510 if you dont mind the lights being red rather than green

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I bought an RNS510 of a guy advertising on Done Deal. Have it fitted now for the last two months and
is working perfect. It was second hand, production date was 2010 so the maps are up to date on it. Another thing like the lights is, on start up in the morning it will say "welcome to volkswagen" on the screen, this doesnt come up every time
though. Other than that its the same as columbus.
You will have to get a new radio surround aswell they only cost 30 euro from a dealer though, the unit is narrow than the one
you have fitted. When I was buying mine the guy had 4 rns510's for sale. He was polish and said these units were taken out
of cars being sold on the continent, that if an eldery person was buying the car they would prefer a standard unit. You can believe that if you want ha ha. But he did have the radio card with it with the radio number and radio pin on it.
I still have his nuber if you want it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
QUOTE (mark_eire @ Apr 12 2011, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've bought 2 or 3 RNS510 sat nav's from that lad KevC suggested, jarastech on ebay, great lad to deal with....
Did you upgrade the firmware on any of the RNS510's Mark?

·
Formerly mark_eire
1,769 Posts
QUOTE (kevinm @ Apr 13 2011, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did you upgrade the firmware on any of the RNS510's Mark?

No, never updated them Kevin, they came loaded with latest v6 maps (think there's v7 now, is there) and also the latest firmware 2680 iirc,
Never had any battery drain problems and I'm not a massive tech geek so they did the job for me!
One of the RNS510's I got for my '07 Gti hadn't uploaded the firmware properly, kept freezing and a few other problems so I sent it back to the seller and he sent me another unit.
Top lad to deal with.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.