Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering some coilovers for my mk4 gti (GB for FK Highsports on uk-mkivs.net) but I've 2 queries:

1. Anyone here lowered their mk4 on coilovers - which ones? How low did you go and how was the handling after?

2. I'm also wondering what effect this will have on my insurance - I know I could just ring them to ask but I'm concerned that if this may set of warning bells and get me earmarked as a "boyracer" - is that stupid? Anyway what the response was when they told their insurance company - was there a big increase in the premium? What company?

Thanks
Shane

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
QUOTE (soc @ Mar 16 2006, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm considering some coilovers for my mk4 gti (GB for FK Highsports on uk-mkivs.net) but I've 2 queries:

1. Anyone here lowered their mk4 on coilovers - which ones? How low did you go and how was the handling after?
2. I'm also wondering what effect this will have on my insurance - I know I could just ring them to ask but I'm concerned that if this may set of warning bells and get me earmarked as a "boyracer" - is that stupid? Anyway what the response was when they told their insurance company - was there a big increase in the premium? What company?

Thanks
Shane

1. I have had my Bora lowered on Coilovers since last Nov - FK Highsports. I've had it at variuos heights since putting on the car, from Normal height right down to the road, you'll discover yourself what way you want to have them according to your driving & where you drive (roads etc). Handling is 100times better with the coilovers, no Q about it.

2. I've never heard anyone declaring Coilovers to any Insurance company.

·
Registered
219 Posts
QUOTE (Tony D @ Mar 16 2006, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1. I have had my Bora lowered on Coilovers since last Nov - FK Highsports. I've had it at variuos heights since putting on the car, from Normal height right down to the road, you'll discover yourself what way you want to have them according to your driving & where you drive (roads etc). Handling is 100times better with the coilovers, no Q about it.

Cheers mate - I've currently got bilstein b4's with -30mm eibachs and a rear neuspeed arb fitted and the handling was much improved. Good combination for the money but still a bit too much body movement for my liking. Also I'd like to go lower by around 20mm - 30mm.

I read various posts on uk-mkivs and vortex that lowering 60mm adversely affects handling but talking to awesome-gti and they've a mk4 that's on the floor and they reckon it handles superb.

Is the ride much firmer than stock with the FK's? It's almost stock with the billies so a bit firmer wouldn't be a problem.

QUOTE 2. I've never heard anyone declaring Coilovers to any Insurance company.

Really? I would have thought it would made a difference - maybe I should ring and ask anyway. I know in the UK most would declare coilovers...

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Say nothing about the coilovers!

They'll make you get an engineers report from a main dealer!

·
Registered
875 Posts
You could try uprated anti roll bar bushs.That should improve body roll.

Corner turn in will be improved by useing uprated bush's on front wishbones.

If you go too low and live in the country, you will have to look out for the sump.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts