Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Formerly mark_eire
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the coil packs out of the gti yesterday to see if they were required to be changed under the current recall, 2 of them are. Anyway I rang my local vw dealer today to ask, he didn't know much about it but went onto the vw factory system and agreed that it was due to be changed under the recall. He then asked me if the car had ever been chipped or remapped, I said not to my knowledge, although I know it has a revo remap, I asked why did that matter, he told me that when they replace the coil packs they need to tell the ecu they have been changed with the computer and this he said can sometimes cause the ecu to go kaput! He said that if it did and they later realised the car was remapped that vw wouldn't cover the cost of a replacement ecu. Is this just dealership shite talk or am I taking a risk getting this done for the sake of the cost of a few coil packs? I doubt that the ecu is going to get damaged/destroyed but knowing my luck lately it will, and end up costing an arm for a new ecu for the sake of 2 coil packs.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
From my knowledge vw dealers can't see if car is maped or not........

·
Formerly mark_eire
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda thought it was shite talk alright, I think your right alan, don't think the dealer's can tell if it's remapped but he said if they fcuked up the ecu and it had to be replaced that vw wouldn't cover the cost of a replacement if they later found out it was remapped.....
Basically there talking bo££ox I think!

·
250 Posts
I have replaced these in alot of cars in work and they do not need to be coded or anything like that so I dont see how he can tell you that...

·
Formerly mark_eire
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (ShaunieVW @ Apr 18 2011, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They're talking through there hole, One out, one in. Simple as, Which ones did they say needed replacing? the 06B 905 115 L's? just out of curiousity?

He didn't say Shaunie, just told me it was due for recall!! hopefully they'll change the 4!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
QUOTE (kevinm @ Apr 19 2011, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How?

Not really if its suspected there may be a map we can go in and check a test plan for uprated mvb's specified values but it dosent always show up,
I had car in last year and was due a 'Engine Software Update' in a field action which is usually carried out FOC when car is in for routine service,
Customer didnt say car was remapped when asked (even though it was) so i carried on and updated software wiping out the map he spent a few 00's€ on putting it back to standard map
,He wasnt a happy camper!!! if he had told us we wouldnt have carried out field action and he could have signed a form stating he didnt want update/field action done,

fitting the coils should make no diff to software/map only if car due software update as part of another Field Action

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
QUOTE (timmy @ Apr 19 2011, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not really if its suspected there may be a map we can go in and check a test plan for uprated mvb's specified values but it dosent always show up,
I had car in last year and was due a 'Engine Software Update' in a field action which is usually carried out FOC when car is in for routine service,
Customer didnt say car was remapped when asked (even though it was) so i carried on and updated software wiping out the map he spent a few 00's€ on putting it back to standard map
,He wasnt a happy camper!!! if he had told us we wouldnt have carried out field action and he could have signed a form stating he didnt want update/field action done,

fitting the coils should make no diff to software/map only if car due software update as part of another Field Action
Is that just checking the flash count Brian?

·
Registered
432 Posts
QUOTE (Eoghan @ Apr 20 2011, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is a test plan to check,car needs to be driven tho cant be just checked by plugging in and checking....Again only if car is suspect of being mapped it would be checked

Is there a test plan for each different car, for example id imagine that a pd170 running oem 19s with 3k on the clock would drive very different to the same car running 17s and with 80k on the clock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.