Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this today.. !! It's a MKIV GTI badge - my hand wasn't at its most steady!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't understand why people would want to put stuff on their cars to make people think the car is something it isn't!

This includes undeserved GTI badges and the likes of a 1.4 Golf with an R32 kit on it. I can appreciate the look of it, maybe, but you're gona have to constantly admit that "Naaw, it's only a 1.4" or else get pissed all over!
Where's the fun in that?

Just my €0.02

Discuss...

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
QUOTE This includes undeserved GTI badges and the likes of a 1.4 Golf with an R32 kit on it. I can appreciate the look of it, maybe, but you're gona have to constantly admit that "Naaw, it's only a 1.4" or else get pissed all over!
Where's the fun in that?

totaly agree,
but this is the whole debate about car modding, i can understand why these boys stick all that extra shite, mad paint jobs loud exhausts onto a 1 liter corsa or micra, but they obviously do so let them at it, it would be like me putting a VR6 badge onto my car, and every time somebody would ask is that a 3liter vr6 wow i would have to say nope its just a valver . At the moment there is a corsa around these parts with a paint job as if sombody diped the car into a vat of silver paint but only half way up, more lights coming out of the wheels, side skits, interior parcel shelf head rests than las vegas, and best of all he has 4 exhausts coming out the rear, all this to a 1 liter car , and still he tries to race, other cars
tbh its something that ill never understand going to that extreme to make your car so individual externally but not bother with the preformance of the car, but then i suppose one mans wheelbarrow is anothers ferrari
rant over

·
It's Michael for fecks sake!
1,779 Posts
saw Type R on a octavia the other day!

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
If a guy wants to stoopify his car let him at it! Watching these guys with 1 litre cars put all this work in making them heavier and then trying to race people is funny!

I have slight respect for the guy who mods his corsa or whatever but still realises its a corsa and just tips around with his loud exhaust and booming hardhouse.not really bothering anyone.its the spped merchants you know the type you hear them coming and your brain on hearing the roar of it calculates that it most be doing at least 120MPH but it passes you at around 5 still roaring

Theres an old guy lives around my way drives an sl55 AMG ive never seen him push it hard (even though i wanted to!) until the day on the naas road when some dude in stoppified corolla put it up to him! now that was funny!

And on a personal note it hurts when people stoopify a VAG car! the amount of bad golfs and polos around is criminal.

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
VW used to have a great ad for the MKIV that had a load of badly modded golfs that looked like they felt sad !

Stealth is better in my book.........there was a vid on UKMKiv's of a guy in a Golf GTI gettign handed his ass by a fellow oil burner......the exclamation of his passenger was priceless ! "Fu$k1ng PD130 !!!!!" the fact that he was prob running 200+ bhp and leaving a TDredI badge on the back was the best method of shutting these guys up !

There is a really badly modded Astra kicking about Portarlington................................sounds like(and drives like) a Panzer !

Anybody else noticed how many of these cars have for sale stickers in the windows ???

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
QUOTE (Passat130 @ Feb 3 2006, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.....there was a vid on UKMKiv's of a guy in a Golf GTI gettign handed his ass by a fellow oil burner......the exclamation of his passenger was priceless ! "Fu$k1ng PD130 !!!!!" the fact that he was prob running 200+ bhp and leaving a TDredI badge on the back was the best method of shutting these guys up !

I remember that vid alright, funny stuff.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Im only 21 and i plan on "Stoopifying" my car...reason bein is that i think that puttin an r32 or rieger kit onto my MKV enhances de look.If i had the money to buy a GTI or an R32 tomorrow believe me i would but @ that even if i did have the dollars to buy one i wouldn have the money to insure either.As it stands im payin 2k to insure a 1.4 so i dnt thnik its fair to tar all us wit the same brush.

Definately agree with some of the comments regarding fools in de 1ltr micra's w/spinner hub caps but the likes of us spending all our money on styling rather than performance all comes down to having the money to buy and insure higher performance motors.

my rant over

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Looks over performance is fine. But a nice subtle kit is a far cry from some of the crap stuck onto cars out there.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
Looks over performance is fine i agree totally as long as its done tastefully the key is knowing when to stop!

As far as body kit goes less is more in my opinion much prefer a nice anni bodykit or the likes over a big bumpered R32 kit (unless it is an R32 that is)

One of the things i always planned to do if i one the lotto was buy an R32 and de mod it! take everything off it,put standard seats in it (no rear headrests or nothing!) 15" steelies with the bog standard hub caps orange tail lamps the lot! then drive round making a show of lads! id even hang a pair if furry dice of the rear view!

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
QUOTE even hang a pair if furry dice of the rear view!

priceless ! exactly what i mean..the old M3 engine in the Morris minor trick !!!! (heard a rumour many years ago this could be done...Hmm I wonder!)

ANyways what the hell you doin on the forum at 7.26am ! get some sleep dude !

@Flanders...no objection to a tasty bodykit at all.........just not WRC kits on 1 litre cars...anni kits on any golf look good. even the R32 kit is quite nice as long as you go with Aristo's.
Golf's with a set of Venoms on should be shot IMHO !! just me 2 cents !

It all comes down to taste at the end of day..........if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world........and we'd have no Corsa's on the M7 so weighed down with Fibreglass and neon lights that they can't get past 50 !!

If you want an example of a very tastily done yet very extreme set of mods check out Raven's car.......it's a job well done !

and if you want to see how to push a MrkIv to it's limits yet still keep the basic MrkIV classic look try Gary Hand's motor www.mrkiv.com admitedly this is a money no object project !

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
QUOTE (Passat130 @ Feb 4 2006, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and if you want to see how to push a MrkIv to it's limits yet still keep the basic MrkIV classic look try Gary Hand's motor www.mrkiv.com admitedly this is a money no object project !

Sweet car, but rumour has it that the car is still a non-runner in AmD's workshop ...

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Flanders @ Feb 3 2006, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im only 21 and i plan on "Stoopifying" my car...reason bein is that i think that puttin an r32 or rieger kit onto my MKV enhances de look.

There's nothing fantastic looking about the Mk V R32 kit, I did like the Mk IV R32 kit though.

Caractere do a nice tasteful kit for the Mk V Golf.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
ANyways what the hell you doin on the forum at 7.26am ! get some sleep dude !

A working weekend im afraid!

·
They&#39;re not even a real country anyway
1,192 Posts
QUOTE (Flanders @ Feb 3 2006, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im only 21 and i plan on "Stoopifying" my car...reason bein is that i think that puttin an r32 or rieger kit onto my MKV enhances de look.If i had the money to buy a GTI or an R32 tomorrow believe me i would but @ that even if i did have the dollars to buy one i wouldn have the money to insure either.As it stands im payin 2k to insure a 1.4 so i dnt thnik its fair to tar all us wit the same brush.

Definately agree with some of the comments regarding fools in de 1ltr micra's w/spinner hub caps but the likes of us spending all our money on styling rather than performance all comes down to having the money to buy and insure higher performance motors.

We've all been there - practically every one of us has done lookylikey jobs on smaller motored cars in our time. As far as I'm concerned, so long as you don't badge it an R32, fire away! Personally if I was in your boat I'd probably fit a GTI kit (without GTI badges of course!) on a mkV, but to each his own. Certainly whichever you fit your car will look good at the end of it, which is the main thing with styling!

You should keep an eye out for the new superturbocharged mkV. It'll be a 1,4 litre, but with many GTI styling elements, but importantly 170 bhp

·
Registered
551 Posts
QUOTE (Stiofán @ Feb 6 2006, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You should keep an eye out for the new superturbocharged mkV. It'll be a 1,4 litre, but with many GTI styling elements, but importantly 170 bhp

Which of course the insurance companies won't ignore
He would still be in the same boat insurance wise

·
They&#39;re not even a real country anyway
1,192 Posts
QUOTE (Steve @ Feb 6 2006, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which of course the insurance companies won't ignore
He would still be in the same boat insurance wise

True, they won't ignore it - but it'll be cheaper to tax and insure than a GTI anyways, even if it's more expensive than a regular 1,4.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Putting a MKV GTI kit onto a normal Golf is a bit pointless IMO.. All it has is plastic skirts and twin exhausts and a slightly different (is it different?!) front splitter that set it apart.. the rest is badges, a spoiler and red calipers.. I'd just go for a kit specific to the MKV, I hate cars which are done to look like other cars. eg, full R32 kit, wheels, blue calipers and then inside is a 1.4 engine..

Anyway, on my travels this morning I spotted this..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts