Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 have a pair of Vredestein tyres 195/50/15 on the front of my vw golf mk3 1.9 (66kw) diesel car. The technical data in the manual states that a 66kw car with 2 front tyres should have 2.3 bar (33.35 psi) up to half payload to suit 195/50/15 tyres. I have kept these at 2.1 bar (30 psi approx) since new.
The centre of the tyres are wearing in the centre. What is the cause of this problem? I alway thought that if a tyre wears in the centre, that you tyre was over inflated. I wonder if there is a fault with the tyres. Date on the tyres are 4507. These tyres are getting old now. Can anybody explain this problem? I talked to a local tyre centre and he told me to deflate these down.

·
Registered
813 Posts
this can happen with most low profile tyres. 195/50/15 are not extreme but in my experience alot of it is down to the strength of the sidewall.
good tyres have a tendency to do it but i have seen cheaper tyres to do the same.
leaving some air out the tyres may wear the outside of the tyres the same as the middle but you risk damaging the sidewall, grip and mpg.

i cant offer any solution to you though.
hopefully someone will be able to sort you out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Ireland, the average temperature in the colder months may fall below 7oC. At such a temperature range, your summer car or van tyres are not probably going to perform at their best.
Ultimately you need to purchase the best winter tyres from some reliable shops like Rathdowney Quick Fit Tyres Centre. These tyres will keep you safe on the roads while driving.
So, whenever winters are approaching, Irish people must take their vehicles to the nearby tyres centre to incorporate them soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts