Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I've only a single CD in the new car, so need something more for some decent tunes. I'd usually just go a plain old CD changer, but I've been looking a lot at hooking up my iPod through one of these Dension icelink kits, or even going as far as a full on mp3 harddrive job like a phatbox.

Anyone using any of these ? Any other mp3 harddrive setups that would hookup to standard headunit ?

Tom

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It's all down to personal taste Tom. Over the last few years I've just put a good quality Mp3 player in the car (Alpine or along that line). It's the best of both worlds, you can record about 12 albums on each disc that costs about 50c plus you can play your regular cd's too. I looked into the hard drive system for the car about a year ago and I just couldn't justify the cost involved for what you get. But I suppose it's like any thing else, the price will half within a year or so.

Also it's handier for me as I'm a DJ and all my music in stored on my PC so I can just go in a make a cd with 200 songs in 10 mins.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm defaulting to the CD changer (dealer wants €400!), not convinced that the iPod link is the way to go either. Wouldnt be on for mp3's on CD though either. Is there anything else decent out there ?

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I have the NEO jukebox in my Car, see pics below

controller located where the ash tray used to be

The Neo Car Jukebox unit is a hard-drive based MP3 player. You can copy all of your CD's and MP3 files into the device and plug it into your car or home stereo. Just slide it in, slide it out. Files are easily transferred via the external USB bay or an internal bay that is installed into your personal computer.

check out Neo JukeBox

And it just so happens I have a brand new one in a box, never opened!

Its 10GB in capacity but easily upgraded with a standard 3.5 inch IDE disk. Just format it FAT32 and hey presto its ready to go.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
ide go with brians idea
i personally use the mp3 headunit like this one ,

i download any music i want from the net then record my tracks onto cd and update them every now and then and play them in the car , plus ive got a 6 disk changer ,

why if you have an ipod would you not use it throug the head unit, i have a mate and he has his ipod and he built a cool docking bay for it under the armrest in his car and it plays thru his Alpine head unit

ps daveb i like the neo juke box, are there any other similar players that you know of, are you selling that
cardbord box in the pics???

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Thats an M Station in the box. Its the Euro Version of the Neo Juke box but the exact same thing. I am selling but I have alot of people interested in it. I can show mine working in the car if anyone is interested.

MP3's on Cd is just hassle, you still end up with mounds of CD's in your car. 1 Unit 1000's of CD's is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I use a thing called a Belkin Tune Cast II. I got it on eBay for €35 all in (delivery, etc). I also have a Creative Zen Sleek 20 GB. The Belkin plugs into the headphone socket of the mp3 player. This basically transmits a signal (up to 10 feet, claimed) and you simply tune your stereo into the same frequency as the Belkin Tunecast and away you go.

This Belkin Tunecast will work on laptops, hifis, walkmen, etc. as long as the device has a headphone socket.

There can be interference from time to time but not enough to stop you using it.

BTW there is a few different types, if ur buying one, make sure its this one as some the cheap jobs are complete rubbish

Belkin Tuncast on eBay

·
Meh
446 Posts
QUOTE (dubtrend @ Jan 19 2006, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use a thing called a Belkin Tune Cast II. I got it on eBay for €35 all in (delivery, etc). I also have a Creative Zen Sleek 20 GB. The Belkin plugs into the headphone socket of the mp3 player. This basically transmits a signal (up to 10 feet, claimed) and you simply tune your stereo into the same frequency as the Belkin Tunecast and away you go.

This Belkin Tunecast will work on laptops, hifis, walkmen, etc. as long as the device has a headphone socket.

There can be interference from time to time but not enough to stop you using it.

BTW there is a few different types, if ur buying one, make sure its this one as some the cheap jobs are complete rubbish

Belkin Tuncast on eBay

If you already have an ipod would you not try an itrip which is the same as the above and you can get them easily on ebay.

Friend has one and never had any problem with it. As far as i know it also can tune into HiFi's etc.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I bought one of them Cd players from Aldi 80 euro best job ever lol, has a sd card slot and a usb port, i just use a 2 gig memory stick, gona get a 2 gig card now, i thought it would be a peice of shit for that money but its really good!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
QUOTE (C-Mac @ Jan 19 2006, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you already have an ipod would you not try an itrip which is the same as the above and you can get them easily on ebay.

Friend has one and never had any problem with it. As far as i know it also can tune into HiFi's etc.

ya, but the tunecast can be plugged into any device that has a headphone socket. not sure if the itrip can or not.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would have bought a Phatbox for my Golf if (a) I had kept it and (b) if the place in the US had sold me one. The shipping was very expensive also.

I was impressed with the fact that it could be controlled like a CD changer from the head unit without the need for additional screens, buttons etc. Very nice piece of kit. I'm not sure what's available for the MKVs though.

A place I deal with, it's an IT distributers, they sell mp3 head units that play audio cds, mp3 cds, and have a usb socket on the front for playing from memory sticks, usb hard disks etc. They also have a slot for reading an mmc card, or maybe its an SD card. Not sure. They have an auxilary input for whatever and they have front and rear RCA connectors. They're Less than 150 ex VAT.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to keep the standard headunit, MFD2 with Sat Nav, so the Phatbox would be good for the CD changer control. What's the deal with the voice activiation stuff ? Does it work ??

·
They&#39;re not even a real country anyway
1,192 Posts
The Phatnoise system would be the ultimate factory solution - once it's installed nobody will know it's there, there are some *some* issues involved with installation of them with MFDs, and technologically the MFD2 isn't too far from the MFD1 so the same issues (wiring, not software thankfully!) still exist, but it's relatively straightforward to get the Phatbox and navi system talking to each other. You can learn loads more on how to install them here.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
got one other opition, as most of you know im closed my shop and i still have one unit left fromclarion , called an 848. it has the music catcher function on it so you can store up to 6 full cd on the unit itself. hand, then you can have an aux input for the ipod adaptor and it plays all the norm cds as well. might be an idea for you.

·
The Aux-In
42 Posts
Try this to connect any player and keep your factory fit unit.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
Using an Ipod with an Itrip for nearly 3yrs now and no porblems once you find a decent freq which i have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[Hi Tom,

I've got a Pioneer 6-Stack CD player for either boot or under the seat installation attachments for sale if you're looking for a pioneer based system. It's not with a headunit, just the CD changer, with all documents and cables.

I'm looking for approx 240 Euro o.v.n.o if you're interested.

otherwise if you know of anyone who would like same said unit, give me a shout.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts