Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My brother s looking to buy a car now and he spotted this on Donedeal: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2081...m_campaign=like

Now i just want to know are they a good car and hassle free?? Has anybody ever owned one of these of heard of good or bad reports of them??? Any advice would be great!!

Martin

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just after checking add there again but it looks to be sold, any info on this model would still be a great help, cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (morch_66479 @ Apr 19 2011, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just after checking add there again but it looks to be sold, any info on this model would still be a great help, cheers

i've had alot of these- auto, tip tronic models are the best sellers over the 6 speed manual.
problems i've come across were, diesel seals, injectors - they have a plastic cover on the engine, bring some tools and remove the cover and check for oil around the seals and injectors "not a big deal but can be a couple of hundred to do, and will stop the car starting"
check all electrics, push every button - main problem area's i've seen was ; passenger door when locking- lock will bounce up and down a few times and might not lock. "not a big deal, common problem, mainly just a rubber to be changed in the lock unit.
out of all i've had, just one window reg was gone, windows dont usually give trouble but can be expensive to get sorted.
start is from cold, on alot of them you will hear a clicking noise from the air vents on the dash- this can be sorted as simple as resetting the air control module or having to replace a relay.

have a look around on the on board computer, will give you details of when the next service is due- will also give a mpg read out, average mpg should be in the 40's - if its in the 30's, usually a sign that the car is driven hard alot.

manual gear box's commonly grind from 1st to second, not a big deal, they done it from new- but shouldnt grind in any other gears
auto box's are great - just make sure the tip-tronic works "just move the gear stick right to go up, left to go down. also on the test drive, if testing an auto one, while the car is in drive, stop on a hill, the car should hold, if it rolls back- walk away

as above, check everything, wipers, indicators etc. the wiper and indicators are on the one stalk - if this stalk gives trouble it can be expensive and an absolute b**ch to change.
i've had 2 that the cruise / limit control unit wouldnt work, not a big deal, but a nice feature if you drive on motorways alot

track rods and ball joints go up front - not a huge amount of money to sort - generally around 150 a side but better to have in your pocket that someone else's. so listen for rattles and give the front wheels a good shake

make sure the foot brake / hand brake works - rear callipers have a habbit of ceasing if left parked up for a while and can affect the foot brake

as above, look through the on board computer, there is a malfunctions section, if there is a problem with sensors, bulbs gone, needs oils, coolents etc ; it will tell you there. ideally you want it to read "no malfunctions"

before you start it, on the on board computer, go to the mileage setting - press up or down until you get to the oil measurement setting - turn the key to 2nd position and it will measure the oil. ideally it will say "oil level ok", or can say remove x amount if too much oil in it, or add x amount

the key will go after a few years, some last 10, some last 20, so make sure the key will lock, un-like and open's the boot.

i love these cars, they're pretty much all i drive- generally havent given me alot of trouble. once you look after it, it'll look after you.
i know i've listed out a lot of things up there so you might be thinking they have lots of problems, but in my case it was just one or two of them problems with a car- many of the one's i've had didnt have any problems

hope this helps

·
Registered
77 Posts
Probably one f the best cars I had. Great mpg and comfort, nothing major went wrong, fuses, bulbs, starter. Great car

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have one of them and all that was wrong was the 2 front arm bushings . Other than that
its a nice driver and good for long haul journeys .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks lads for the reply, much appreciated. The 1 he was lookin at sold but he's on the lookout for another one. Couldn't have asked for more!!
Cheers,
Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.