Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
just thought id show some photos of the camaro,on the day i bought it, back in aug 08, think it was the first or second sunday of the month.

i bought the car as a non runner. wasnt even a rolling shell as the wheels were flat

was a massive gamble, and if i was to do it again id be more careful but, it worked out. bought the car and hadnt even sat in it. i had prompted the question "Was it for sale," "would you sell it to me??" and 10 mins later, after some thinking on the sellers behalf, i became the owner of a 1976 CHEVY CAMARO
all i knew about the car was that over 10 years ago it came in from England, and the seller drove it, for a year or two. then parked it up and bought a landrover. it had not moved or started for about 10 years before i bought it.
before buying it we had popped the bonnet, looked at the MASSIVE spiders. and commented on the engine.
i only started to think about it 6 months ago, What would i have done if the engine and body were bet?

My mate John, came out with me on the Monday after buying it, i think he was more excited than me! as he was Early for work...
with a Toyota Hilux full of random tools, including: 2 big hammers, loads of imperial and metric spanners and sockets, 4lts of petrol, some random cables of wire. and a bucketful, full of excitement. we set off..

with eager talk of the car and any problems that could be wrong with it, we came to the conclusion that it would be grand.
with a few witty remarkes.. (you couldnt have gotten anything smaller could you)... (where do you load in the artillery shells?) etc... we then set into work.
Air breather removed. confusion over which position the gear selector should be in. (as there were no markings...) some other top secret procedures, followed by some more...
and the car puffed...
some more fuel and a few more turns... we got a few more puffs...
excitement grew over the sounds of the beast waking up..
another slug of petrol, the puffs turn into yawns... another go, and the camaro started to growl... one more go and she revved up into life. with a few adjustments the camaro started to per like a kittie. with each deafening rev of the engine, John still had the same look of excitement as he had that morning, except now it was even bigger!

the next day we went to collect the car. laugh out loud (LOL) we had to go borrow a car transporter, as with ours it would be too narrow and too short.. scared that if we told the truth "we are transporting a yank tank" the owner of the car transporter would not lend us the trailer, as they would think the car would brake it.. so we had to lie... "ya we are moving a.... fiat?!?!"
with car transporter in hand, and laughing, we set off to bring home my new toy.
loading the car was just as much fun. the car is about a ton - ton and a half. and is as wide as a tank...(no pun intended) barely fitting onto the trailer, we got to work strapping it down.
im sure we must have gotten really odd looks on the road home. not every day do you see a camaro with some green shit on the windows just out of a shed for the first time in 10 years, on the back of a car transporter going through a load of poky villages from newross to kilkenny city.

i think that is it all.. well thats my story so far.

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
QUOTE ("camaro76")

curves

roof welded

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
door returned

a mixture of rust 1cm thick filler and cardboard. WHY???

working

front right wing

rush chopped out. new panel tacked into place

holder for the batter Very badly rusted. replace.

bottom of right door. new patch bent and twisted perfectly into shape. and tacked into place

drivers door hinge, not sure. either just the pin needs to be replace along with new bushings or else the hole unit.. anyone go one??

booth lock unit.
i have the hammer that close and holes the booth closed. but i am missing the key and push button unit. any one got one of theses?

thin coating of fiber glass and filler.

hoping to spray this side Tuesday. 26/6/09

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
This will be an epic thread

Looking forward to seeing it all happen.

Keep it going.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the car as it was being gutted

ass

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks man!

QUOTE (Declan @ Jun 26 2009, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yipes you have a long road ahead !

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Some serious workmanship ere, Will be watching this.

Love the older yank tanks,

Fair play! What engine has it if you don't mine me asking?

·
John - Friends with girls who live on Draycott rd&
3,429 Posts
love these....wow fairplay some work going into this, keep it up

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Wow! amazing work there to do.....havent seen so much rust since I lived in Detroit..........hahaha

What cubic inch is that engine? Used to 'carpool' (ouch the back seat) with my boss in same year Camaro - was a 350ci SS automatic - could do a lovely burnout. Was a great ride (unless you were in backseat).....

Keep it up.........and keep us posted...........

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
I think that model was 6.6litres?

Brother has a later IROC Z Camaro in US and I think it is a 5 or 5.5l

Unbelievable sound when on song.

Would love to bring in a Chevy Cheville SS at some stage.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
QUOTE (Mike @ Jun 27 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think that model was 6.6litres?

I think the v8 was a 6.6, I only counted 6 plugs so I'm curious..

QUOTE (americanpaddy @ Jun 27 2009, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mike - isnt that a Chevelle? curious where pic taken?

It is indeed a Chevelle, 69-70 model if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
QUOTE (Brian47 @ Jun 27 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is indeed a Chevelle, 69-70 model if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, apologies it is of course, camaro on the brain - always check what you write before hitting the submit button.

@John, it was taken in Escondido which is not far from where my brother and family live in San Diego.

Every friday night during summer months they clear the main street and allow all local classics converge for a few hours. They park up both sides (so probably a couple of miles of cars) and down some side streets. One car seems to exceed the other. Real friendly bunch of owners too who sit out beside their cars and more than willing to chat. They arrive and depart in cruise mode.

Don't want to cram corradomans thread so check out these couple of links:
Link 1 US
link 2 US

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.