Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im goin buying a bora in the next 6 months and want to no whats the best to go for as ive heard of 150bhp haivng turbo prolems and other things aswel. . so far everyone says that the 130bhp are faultless and theres no problems but id like to have a genuine 150. ive noticed that 150 can be up to a grand or so dearer then 130 but i dnot really mind that as long as its not going to be causeing more problems. . so what are the problems with both? which is the best buy?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Id buy a 130 if I had the choice, not much difference in power, The 130 has little or no lag, The 150's suffer from cam wear issues where the 130 doesn't seem to be affected by it, 130 is cheaper to buy but check the connections on the IC to the pancake pipe as they are shit and if there weak they will break your heart with boost leaks.

All in all if I had the choice, If they were they same money, colour, spec etc and the only difference was one being a 130 and one a 150, I would choose the 130 every time,

Hope that helps

·
Resident Trucker
2,195 Posts
QUOTE (TDI inside @ Apr 7 2011, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well im goin buying a bora in the next 6 months and want to no whats the best to go for as ive heard of 150bhp haivng turbo prolems and other things aswel. . so far everyone says that the 130bhp are faultless and theres no problems but id like to have a genuine 150. ive noticed that 150 can be up to a grand or so dearer then 130 but i dnot really mind that as long as its not going to be causeing more problems. . so what are the problems with both? which is the best buy?

The PD150 engine is as reliable as the 130 my cousin has a PD150 with over 180k on it and he doesnt get any bother from it. Just make sure you check service history etc. Another point is a 130 with a remap is cheaper than a 150 so you could look into that. I have a 130 myself and cant fault it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lads. . Ive plenty of time to deicde becuase it will probly be 3 months before i do get anything so will have a look around at different ones. Gareth its Aengus here ill have to get a look at your 1 some evenin when ye have the time

·
Resident Trucker
2,195 Posts
QUOTE (TDI inside @ Apr 7 2011, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks lads. . Ive plenty of time to deicde becuase it will probly be 3 months before i do get anything so will have a look around at different ones. Gareth its Aengus here ill have to get a look at your 1 some evenin when ye have the time

Ah yah hows things thats no problem, drop us a text on 0872345144, I'll be round your way on Friday sometime if your there I'll call in.

·
Addicted to Amaroks...
1,202 Posts
QUOTE (TDI inside @ Apr 6 2011, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well im goin buying a bora in the next 6 months and want to no whats the best to go for as ive heard of 150bhp haivng turbo prolems and other things aswel. . so far everyone says that the 130bhp are faultless and theres no problems but id like to have a genuine 150. ive noticed that 150 can be up to a grand or so dearer then 130 but i dnot really mind that as long as its not going to be causeing more problems. . so what are the problems with both? which is the best buy?

I've a 150 with near 172k on it, flywheel about to be changed and thats it. The cams are not an issue if the person servicing it isnt a gobshite and listens to the wise people in Halfords who'll try to convince you it only needs the cheaper oil. Proper oil used in changing/regular maintenance =pd150 as reliable as the 130.
I picked mine up for reasonable pd130 money in 09 and as I said cant fault it.
The obvious advantage of the pd 150 is that is has more power...also the front mounted inter cooler is a big advantage if you go for a turbo upgrade.
Long and the short of it is what you want from it. Both are great little engines
All you need to know on this topic

·
Resident Trucker
2,195 Posts
Not trying to sound patronizing but your best bet would be the 130 for the insurance alone, 150's are all highlines and sports which will mean dearer insurance than say if they were comfortline. I'm after forking out 2300 for insurance today on mine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Polomint6N2 @ Apr 7 2011, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not trying to sound patronizing but your best bet would be the 130 for the insurance alone, 150's are all highlines and sports which will mean dearer insurance than say if they were comfortline. I'm after forking out 2300 for insurance today on mine.
Yea i no what you mean. . It will probly come down to insurance at the end of the day. Im only geting the license next week so itll be another 6 months before i get the full license and im trying to wait until then as the insurance will be a bit cheaper but if the right car does come along before then im willing to buy

·
Resident Trucker
2,195 Posts
QUOTE (TDI inside @ Apr 7 2011, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yea i no what you mean. . It will probly come down to insurance at the end of the day. Im only geting the license next week so itll be another 6 months before i get the full license and im trying to wait until then as the insurance will be a bit cheaper but if the right car does come along before then im willing to buy

Ya the insurance for the likes of you and me is mental, on the 130 with 1 year no claims and €300 excess its costing me €2300 for the year fully comp with open driving and windscreen cover and mods declared. It only came down €100 since last year I moved from AXA to Royal Sun Alliance was with Axa last year and it was €2400 fully comp €400 excess they wanted €2750 this year with no mods
Cant understand why they wanted more than last year

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Polomint6N2 @ Apr 7 2011, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ya the insurance for the likes of you and me is mental, on the 130 with 1 year no claims and €300 excess its costing me €2300 for the year fully comp with open driving and windscreen cover and mods declared. It only came down €100 since last year I moved from AXA to Royal Sun Alliance was with Axa last year and it was €2400 fully comp €400 excess they wanted €2750 this year with no mods
Cant understand why they wanted more than last year
I found out last week that its only €300 for me to go on the auld fellas car as the third person so thats whats put me off buying for about 6 months. When i am goin geting insured on my own it'll be with the cheapest out. Itll be thrid party fire and theft or something like that because i dont want to be paying out massive money. The only thing id be puting on it that youd need to declare would be coilovers because im not sure about the remap yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (TD91 @ Apr 7 2011, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've a 150 with near 172k on it, flywheel about to be changed and thats it. The cams are not an issue if the person servicing it isnt a gobshite and listens to the wise people in Halfords who'll try to convince you it only needs the cheaper oil. Proper oil used in changing/regular maintenance =pd150 as reliable as the 130.
I picked mine up for reasonable pd130 money in 09 and as I said cant fault it.
The obvious advantage of the pd 150 is that is has more power...also the front mounted inter cooler is a big advantage if you go for a turbo upgrade.
Long and the short of it is what you want from it. Both are great little engines
All you need to know on this topic
Thanks for the link. . Just after reading through it and theres alot of info there

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
QUOTE (TDI inside @ Apr 7 2011, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How much would a remap effect mpg. say a 150 remapped to about 190 and 130 to 170ish or as much as safely possible and will it cause any problems?

I bought a 130 that was remapped to 170 and just under 300ft/lbs . I do alot of city driving and i get around 30mpg but on the motorways i was getting around 50 mpg.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Cam wear is only really an issue up as far as the end of 02, they were revised for the 03 production year. That said if it's been run on the cheap oil it'd still make shite of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.