Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with the below code?

It happend when I replaced a nicked a fuse for my MK4 GOLF
When I replaced the 10A fuse and fired betsy up it threw back an emissions warning fault. I have to admit I pulled a few 10A fuses but all have since been replaced. Ran the diagnostics and cleared all fault codes but the car is still down on power, the car may even be in limp mode. Any suggestions? Disconnect the battery for 15 mins etc

Oh there is an original tunning box fitted!

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BKC.lbl
Part No SW: 03G 906 016 B HW: 028 101 147 8
Component: R4 1,9L EDC 0000SG 5645
Revision: 12345678 Serial number: VWZ7Z0D9700538
Coding: 0003031
Shop #: WSC 00000 028 00001
VCID: 2241720B845F

1 Fault Found:
18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor: Implausible Correlation
P1592 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 12.62 V
Bin. Bits: 11000000
Absolute Pres.: 1009.8 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 1173.0 mbar

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 1

·
Robbie
1,027 Posts
QUOTE (davitt @ Apr 19 2011, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yaw, first thing I looked up but Im what Im really asking could replacing or pulling one of the fused cause this issue. Its far too much of a coincidence

If the fuse is working ok there should be no issue.What was the fuse for that your replaced?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now thats a good question, and the answer is Im not entirely sure. I pulled the first 10A fuse but this was the power assist so I reolaced that and pulled another which I believe was the de-misting. That said I cant be 100 as the fuse diagram was a little con-fuse-ing (sorry couldnt resist!!) and I could get a proper fuse layout from the net

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
QUOTE (davitt @ Apr 19 2011, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can anyone help with the below code?

It happend when I replaced a nicked a fuse for my MK4 GOLF
When I replaced the 10A fuse and fired betsy up it threw back an emissions warning fault. I have to admit I pulled a few 10A fuses but all have since been replaced. Ran the diagnostics and cleared all fault codes but the car is still down on power, the car may even be in limp mode. Any suggestions? Disconnect the battery for 15 mins etc

Oh there is an original tunning box fitted!

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BKC.lbl
Part No SW: 03G 906 016 B HW: 028 101 147 8
Component: R4 1,9L EDC 0000SG 5645
Revision: 12345678 Serial number: VWZ7Z0D9700538
Coding: 0003031
Shop #: WSC 00000 028 00001
VCID: 2241720B845F

1 Fault Found:
18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor: Implausible Correlation
P1592 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 12.62 V
Bin. Bits: 11000000
Absolute Pres.: 1009.8 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 1173.0 mbar

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 1

With that error , the ecu will limit a boost , as George said , you need to go to first check the measuring blocks to see the mbar pressure differnce between the 2 sensors . Altitude sensor is based in the ecu , where the boost sensor is in the intercooler piping

Id remove the tuna box first to see if its causing the wrong readings

·
Registered
625 Posts
Okay guys, so I removed the tuning box, cleared all faults and took the car for a spin while logging the boost pressure while driving.

The car seemed to drive OK but as the tuning box is taken out and my cars pokier and that fact I don't drive this car very often it was hard to know if it was down on power or just the way it is!!

When I got the car back and scanned the engine and the fault popped up again!!! No idea whats going on, what sort of pressure should I expect to see given the RPM in the below file,

Boot Pressure live log

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
You obviously either haven't read or don't understand what the fault code description is telling you.

Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor: Implausible Correlation

So the two sensors in question are the altitude sensor which measures atmospheric pressure and the boost sensor which measures boost.

If you think about it then it is obvious that both of these sensors should read the same value when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running. Because the engine isn't running no boost is entering the intercooler pipework so that system is at atmospheric pressure. The ECU checks that this is the case every time you turn on the ignition. If the readings aren't close enough to each other then it sets the code that you are seeing.

Did you look at the values with key on engine off? If not then you'll have to do it. That code is only logged when the engine isn't running as that is the only time when both pressure readings should be the same.

Atmospheric pressure is roughly 1000mBar so that is what you are looking for, if one of the sensors isn't reading close to that figure then that is the one you need to take a closer look at.

·
Registered
625 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Apr 20 2011, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You obviously either haven't read or don't understand what the fault code description is telling you.

Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor: Implausible Correlation

So the two sensors in question are the altitude sensor which measures atmospheric pressure and the boost sensor which measures boost.

If you think about it then it is obvious that both of these sensors should read the same value when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running. Because the engine isn't running no boost is entering the intercooler pipework so that system is at atmospheric pressure. The ECU checks that this is the case every time you turn on the ignition. If the readings aren't close enough to each other then it sets the code that you are seeing.

Did you look at the values with key on engine off? If not then you'll have to do it. That code is only logged when the engine isn't running as that is the only time when both pressure readings should be the same.

Atmospheric pressure is roughly 1000mBar so that is what you are looking for, if one of the sensors isn't reading close to that figure then that is the one you need to take a closer look at.

Thanks Geo, yes your quiet right, its more a case of not understanding the data but your explanation makes sense.
Just checked the atmospheric pressure against the boost pressure with the engine off and ignition on and there is a discrepancy as seen below. Should there be any tolerance allowed between both?

So would this lead to a boost sensor on the intercooler been faulty or something else?

Address 01: Engine (03G 906 016

22:11:43 Group 010: Charge Pressure Control
0.0 mg/str Mass Air Flow (actual)
1009.8 mbar Atmospheric Pressure
1173.0 mbar Boost Pressure (actual)
0.0 % Accel. Pedal Pos. Sensor 1 (G79)

22:11:43 Group 011: Charge Pressure Control
0 /min Engine Speed (G28)
193.8 mbar Boost Pressure (specified)
1173.0 mbar Boost Pressure (actual)
0.0 % Charge Pressure Control Duty Cycle

Update.. so just after speaking with herself and who drives the car all the time and she reckons the car hasn't been as economical as it used to be. Also when in for a service it was noted that there was an oil leak in the intercooler and needed a new seal, none of which has been done. Surely though that was a mechanical diagnosis and this fault code would lead them to look elsewhere? Do these symptoms sound right?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update on this to let ya know how I got on.

Replaced and boost pressure sensor and that sorted the problems, no fault since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.