Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice.......but not worth 75000 bucks.

Back in the early to mid 90's cars just as clean as this were fairly common place. If I was to choose the best aircooled vw i've seen it'll probably be Bernard Newbury's hot rod influenced Karmann Ghia........pure sex.

G

·
Clean, yes, but I wouldnt have put Gasburners on for wheels, Bernies Ghia is sweet but its 90s custom stylee, today folks are more into that oldskool callook Its all just a personal thing really! There are loadsa dubs out there I love, that Split bug dont have enuf attitude to be best it the world!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Newburys Ghia, dont really call it '90s style. It was pretty unique though had its imitators, none as good.
It brought street rod influences & attention to detail & custom body mods to aircoolers, it almost had a concept car appearance... ok it had some billet alum. I never liked the stuff...
Currently a lot of bugs still have restocal look albeit with narrowed front beams & cartoonlike bignlittle rubber
rake. I like it but samey when u put a few together....... Similarly ratlookers & hoodride veedubs

Cars like Newburys can be timelessly goodlooking unlike some fadfollowers
Pity more people dont think outside the box ie build custom cars !!

G

·
Airnwater, I agree with you, but if Bernie built his Ghia in the late 90's early 00's it would have more carbonfibre and the billet wouldnt be there, same if he built it today I'd say the wheels and Tyre combo would also be different, good cars can be timeless but alot of the best sometimes move forward and change as trends and styles do!

I love Hoods/ rats and retro race stuff, resto cals and em all, Im in the market for a Bug at the mo, and the look will depend on the base car! It will be low, with narrowed beam but how low depends on the base car and the look and engine I choose!

Bernies car came from an era when folk customised cars, todays its retro, wots next? Its hard to call, and even more hard to be original these days!

Why is the oldskool look so popular today, is it to preserve bugs, is it easier to do than targa tops and suicide doors, smooth panels?

Good volks rods take alot of work and as the use the retro styles more the 90's hodrod vw's , i think they are much better, 90's rod vdubs just removed the wings and looked crap!

Dr Gonzo is a good car, simple and effective,

These days you cant see the bugs for the buses!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Take point on c'fibre (dont like the stuff myself) ,etc. but Bernies car is a classic , a landmark (in VW scene) now & in the future regardless.
A Classic should be something new or something done better than before, hence they will be remembered when fadfollowers are forgotten..
Spoke to Newbury years ago, tho its his car , Paintbox deserve much credit for its design & execution.

-Targa tops & suicide doors are labour intensive gimmicks , good for show points but dont improve Bugs look..
- Re Dr gonzo..saw it in the flesh NSRA Supernats couple years ago, nice chop ,But naff colour, & Cragar S/S rims dont work, u never see
them on hotrods, maybe ok on early '60's Yank lowriders.....
Hotrod bugs (with early ford axle) done much better by SoCallook (for Fred Hidago & Martin Smith) in usa year before.
Proportions, stance,extended wheelbase, '30's Ford style wires wearing bignlittle crossplies, lights, spot on.
Basically simple '40's hotrod styling cues...

First of the best custom cars prob. 30s coachbuilders eg Bohman & Schwartz on Duesenbergs, Figoni et Falaschi on Talbot Lagos, Delahayes,etc
later 40s & 50s eg Valley Custom chopped/sectioned/smoothed 30s/40s Fords,Mercs..
later Barris built 1st chopped '49 merc followed by Hirohata '51 Merc, best ever
Pebble Beach even has classes for these Fords,Mercs,etc....
50's Concept cars from US big 3 (Ford,Chrysler,GM) are mostly brilliantly overdone, mobile works of art....& of course late 50's yanks "custom" from the factory!!
Cadzilla (zztop) in the 80's , beautiful...
Nowadays Chip Foose has great sense of style & can build em too...... I bet Mercedes checked out customs from the past when building CLS..
Its a bit like art masterpieces, appreciated whenever they're built. end of rant

G

·
Dang that boi knows his sheeet!

Bernies Ghia is sweet as is every interior he's ever done. Same with Emery and paintbox, even back when he did the MK1 golf. Melliard striping etc (love his missuses bus!) top notch, jo an joe gallaghers razors etc, put the thing Id dont like about them is at the mo in the UK if you have the dollah, they are the simple recipie for a show winning feature car, along with a lil bit of Jon Rathbone or someone similar for the metal work!

Love the SoCallook stuff, proper show cars compared to some so called volksrods!

foose is cool but the way I see it with all these US shows is there's loads like him, just we never get the opertunity, the money or have access to all the equipment as the Yanks!

Look at the Biker Build off's, so easy for them all to lay their hands on bits and build wicked rides, where would you even start here?

Billy Lanes the man for me in the Bike scene, lot more DIY Hands on than the rest, although than Young bloke how does Rods and bikes did a sweet retro bike with wood/ Wicker seat!

Have you seen Walt's 'Flat4ord' over on www.volksrods.com I know it looks like a pick up. its meant to but its cool enuf for a bug project!

The Timeless classic is a hard call, you can built a car that can look so good for it moment in time but can look so out of date for ever more! Thats why simple is always best and Bauhaus rules apply, 'Form follows function'

Thats why Italians win awards for car of the year etc when the launch a new car and Germans never do, come back 10 years later and what looks better, Italian or german, MK2 Golf and E30 Bmw compared to most other cars of that era, the Germans still look up to date with more modern rubber, / wheels!

For me, the stance of a car makes it or brakes it, ride hight combined with choice of wheels should be the first thing to be altered by anyone wanting to modify/ customise their ride!

·
Kevin
2,344 Posts
QUOTE (Dirty1 @ Mar 25 2006, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats why Italians win awards for car of the year etc when the launch a new car and Germans never do, come back 10 years later and what looks better, Italian or german, MK2 Golf and E30 Bmw compared to most other cars of that era, the Germans still look up to date with more modern rubber, / wheels!

Wise words indeed. I've never looked at cars from that perspective but, now you've the thing in my head, you're spot on.

G

·
Well I've a degree in that shit!! (Car design) so I'd better have some sortov an opinion on the subject!

Maybe that too is the reason when new Golfs come out and at first I dont like em, then I see the first one on decent rims, just the way the designers always draw em an I think Errrmmm??? Maybe I do like it! Now I like MK5s, wonder how long it will be before I like new passats??

·