Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is going to be hard to explain as im no expert on what's what in the engine bay.

But since yesterday i have a very rough spinning sound coming from the car, and when i looked under the bonnet it seemed like it was coming from the belt on the left hand side, which connects to the alternator, (kinda under the air box).

a friend says it could be a bearing on one of the belt wheels, but what im wondering is - is it safe to drive it - or a case of fix is asap -

If it is a bearing - is it a big job / expensive job to get repaired?

i left it at home today but as i work 20 miles from work, its not going to be a option for too long to rely on public transport

any help much appreciated

btw. its a 95 1.4 golf (if its any help)

·
Registered
969 Posts
If the sound is coming from down low ie near the sump it could be the power steering pump. Does the steering feel a bit heavier than usual or does it get light and heavy every so often?
Really it would be better if you got a mechanic to look at the car as you are not too sure about it yourself, there's a few things that could give trouble, it's hard to say without seeing the car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i actually got someone to take a look at it and its the power steering pump - so will get it fixed this weekend, and not gonna bother driving it untill its sorted, as it so loud it'll wake the neighbours!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts