Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are a super looking car IMO. Other that the fuel pumps giving trouble what else is prone to failure? Im looking into the 1.9tdi rather that the 2.0tdi for peace of mind engine wise..

Any specfic years I should aim for?

Opinions + advise greatly appreciated

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Most common issue is the dual mass flywheel, anything over 100k kms and it will be getting rattly. Budget from €750 for replacement depending on where you get it done.
The 1.9 engine is generally reliable, certainly better than the 2.0. We have seen the odd turbo problem but usually at high-ish mileage.
The electronic steering column/lock gives trouble, it used to be a massively expensive job as lots of parts had to be changed as part of the job, now it is much cheaper but still almost exclusively a main dealer job to change (unless you find someone with the VAG version of Autologic diagnostic equipment)
Wishbone bushes wear out quickly, powerflex poly replacements are a good idea.
Rear wheel bearings wear out at anything from 80k kms upwards.
Door locks give a bit of trouble, generally sticking closed.
Parking brake can stick on leaving the car stranded, usually it is just a faulty switch.

That is all I can think of at the moment. They aren't a bad car but in my opinion would be far better if VW had stuck with a normal ignition lock and handbrake.

·
Registered
374 Posts
George covered most of the problems.Some of the 2.0TDI have injector problems.
My wife has a 2006 2.0TDI Comfortline model with 166k kms.It's well specced and the engine has plenty of poke. She has had the steering column replaced in the past 6 months and it failed gthe NCT on front wishbone bushes. So far (touch wood) she has no symptoms of dual mass flywheel wear.
I would imagine the 1.9tdi version would be slightly underpowered for such a big body?

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Apr 7 2011, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Most common issue is the dual mass flywheel, anything over 100k kms and it will be getting rattly. Budget from €750 for replacement depending on where you get it done.
The 1.9 engine is generally reliable, certainly better than the 2.0. We have seen the odd turbo problem but usually at high-ish mileage.
The electronic steering column/lock gives trouble, it used to be a massively expensive job as lots of parts had to be changed as part of the job, now it is much cheaper but still almost exclusively a main dealer job to change (unless you find someone with the VAG version of Autologic diagnostic equipment)
Wishbone bushes wear out quickly, powerflex poly replacements are a good idea.
Rear wheel bearings wear out at anything from 80k kms upwards.
Door locks give a bit of trouble, generally sticking closed.
Parking brake can stick on leaving the car stranded, usually it is just a faulty switch.

That is all I can think of at the moment. They aren't a bad car but in my opinion would be far better if VW had stuck with a normal ignition lock and handbrake.

i recently bought a 08 passat and the odd time it comes up that there is a steering column lock fault!! how do i go about getting this fixed and what does it entail?????

·
Registered
374 Posts
QUOTE (kelly87 @ May 19 2011, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i recently bought a 08 passat and the odd time it comes up that there is a steering column lock fault!! how do i go about getting this fixed and what does it entail?????

Does it take a couple of attempts to start the car? If so, your steering column will have to be replaced and it's a main dealer only job. It costs a round €400

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (Moanin @ May 19 2011, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does it take a couple of attempts to start the car? If so, your steering column will have to be replaced and it's a main dealer only job. It costs a round €400

yeah it does but only the very odd time!!! i still dont understand this problem the car drives perfect and all that so what exactly is the problem???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.